Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cable and wall plug iPad 8th gen

iPad came with a cable and wall plug that don’t connect? Am I.missing something?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 2:12 PM

As described, the Power Adapter has a USB-C connection. iPad8 has a Lightning Port.

As such, I would expect you to have a USB-C to Lightning cable:

• USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MX0K2ZM/A

More details of what you should have in the box can be found here:

Accessories included with iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 2:12 PM in response to Nursepj

As described, the Power Adapter has a USB-C connection. iPad8 has a Lightning Port.

As such, I would expect you to have a USB-C to Lightning cable:

• USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MX0K2ZM/A

More details of what you should have in the box can be found here:

Accessories included with iPad - Apple Support

Mar 11, 2021 8:51 AM in response to Nursepj

You have provided no details of your iPad model.

The 2020 iPad Air (a.k.a. iPad Air4), or 2018/2020 models of iPad Pro, have a USB-C port. All other models of iPad have a Apple Lightning port.

Apple Power Adapters have either an (older style) USB Type-A connector. Recent models of 18/20/30W Power Adapter instead use a USB-C connection.

It follows that you require the appropriate cable for your combination of iPad and Power Adapter. A new iPad should be supplied with both a Power Adapter and correct cable.

From the above information, you will be able to derive the you require the correct cable - which will be one of the following types:

• USB Type-A to Lightning
  • USB Type-A to USB-C
  • USB-C to Lightning
  • USB-C to USB-C

With a better understanding of what you currently have in your possession, a definitive answer can be provided.

Mar 11, 2021 1:56 PM in response to LotusPilot

I have a new gen 8 2020 iPad. The one end of cable is the one that fits in iPad. The other end is too small for USB plugs. The plug that goes into wall plug doesn’t have a male receptacle that fits the cable. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to by an adapter that converts it to USB? Why would apple send misfitting items?? I am quite tech savvy but not familiar with apple ptoducts, have only had an apple iPhone for a year. Now I’ve graduated to an iPad!! Thanks for any info!!!

Diane

Cable and wall plug iPad 8th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.