Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto 9.6.1 Can not import mov or mp4 files

Dear All, science I installed Catalina on my Mac,

I am still using the Old photos 9.6.1 which I with the help of the app Retroactive 9.1 was able to keep on Catalina. Normally Catalina only works with the New Photos App.

Now I can not import MOV files and mp4 files to iphoto. Is there anyone who can help me.

This matter is not only from iphoto not recognising the format from my iPhone, so as when I place the video on my desktop, I am unable to import it too to iphone.

Need help please.

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 5:11 AM

The last system version to support iPhoto is macOS 10.14 Mojave.

The upgrade to Catalina removed older 32-bit frameworks from the system, that are needed by iPhoto. It is simply not possible to run a full version of iPhoto on Catalina, because of the lacking support for oder frameworks.

Use iPhoto on your High Sierra Mac, as long as this older Mac will survive, but any new Mac will come with a system version, where you can no longer use the older 32-bit applications. Try to find a replacement for iPhoto while you still can run it; that will make the migration easier. When you have to do the migration, when you cannot run iPhoto any longer at all and cannot see the old albums, titles, captions, keywords, it will be hard to recreate your photo libraries in a different application.

The most seamless migration is from iPhoto to Photos for Mac, because the Photos.app can open your iPhoto Libraries and transform them into Photos Libraries.

I wrote this user tip several years ago, when Photos for Mac has been released as the successor to iPhoto: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from… - Apple Community. Some of the links may be broken, because Apple Support has removed most of the support documents for the migration from iPhoto to Photos - I found some, but not all on the wayback machine. I am sorry to say, but iPhoto is now really yesterday's snow, and many of the support documents are gone as irrelevant for the current system versions.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 5:11 AM in response to norbert214

The last system version to support iPhoto is macOS 10.14 Mojave.

The upgrade to Catalina removed older 32-bit frameworks from the system, that are needed by iPhoto. It is simply not possible to run a full version of iPhoto on Catalina, because of the lacking support for oder frameworks.

Use iPhoto on your High Sierra Mac, as long as this older Mac will survive, but any new Mac will come with a system version, where you can no longer use the older 32-bit applications. Try to find a replacement for iPhoto while you still can run it; that will make the migration easier. When you have to do the migration, when you cannot run iPhoto any longer at all and cannot see the old albums, titles, captions, keywords, it will be hard to recreate your photo libraries in a different application.

The most seamless migration is from iPhoto to Photos for Mac, because the Photos.app can open your iPhoto Libraries and transform them into Photos Libraries.

I wrote this user tip several years ago, when Photos for Mac has been released as the successor to iPhoto: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from… - Apple Community. Some of the links may be broken, because Apple Support has removed most of the support documents for the migration from iPhoto to Photos - I found some, but not all on the wayback machine. I am sorry to say, but iPhoto is now really yesterday's snow, and many of the support documents are gone as irrelevant for the current system versions.

Mar 11, 2021 3:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have 2 Macs , 1pro from 2107 working on High Sierra 10.13.6 with the iPhotos 9.6.1 and imports the mov and mp4 as always,

now after installing the new Mac Pro wit Catalina 10.15.7 and Iphoto 9.6.1 it does not import.

The previous info, the info Iphto 9.6.1 does not import the movie files is not correct, as it depends in my case on the IOS I am using.

Mar 11, 2021 3:06 AM in response to norbert214

Retroactive patch for Aperture and iPhoto will work only for the photos, not the videos. The patched version simply cannot import or export videos. The patch removed all references to 32-bit frameworks, that are no longer available on Catalina.

Why not use the Photos.app or iMovie to handle the videos on Catalina and Big Sur?

iphoto 9.6.1 Can not import mov or mp4 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.