Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since macOS 11.2.2 Mac keeps restarting by itself

I put my screen to sleep and when I come back a few hours later, the system has restarted all by itself. Any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 2:16 AM

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required. - if does not apply - disregard

12 replies

Mar 16, 2021 2:02 AM in response to PRP_53

I do experience exactly the same issue as described here. I do confirm, it is not a log off, but a restart as I get the message stating that there was a problem and Mac was restarted and then I get the option to send the message to Apple. Also, when I am with the computer, I get the multilingual panic error message.

I have used Mac for two decades and this is a new Mac from 09/20, installed fresh, no such SW like you mention, no antivirus, defrag, mackeepermalware or anything like that. dozens of apps for my work only.

I do have VPN, but it is not used when it happens. BTW what is wrong with VPN?

Mar 16, 2021 3:15 AM in response to keson

VPNs - commercial VPNs purport to keep your data usage Private . . the Jury is really out on that point. Under normal usage and circumstances - a VPN is not required except for doing ones Banking and / or connecting to the Workplace Network. Both instances may require an added level of privacy but security . . like said earlier Jury is Out. Then there is the Interference with the Normal Operation of the OS. Any software installed on macOS that alters, modifies, removes aspect of the OS - is an invitation for trouble to the point of corrupting the OS.

Since macOS 11.2.2 Mac keeps restarting by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.