Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple's Contacts Application Issue

For many months now I've seen that when in Contacts and scrolling down to find a particular contact of mine, when I locate it then select it, without another action on my part it suddenly reverts back to the very first listing in the application. I can go back and repeat the steps to locate the same contact, but it continues to go back to the top of the list before I can even click Edit to make changes to the contact. I have reached the point of my patience with this anomaly. Is anyone familiar with this and has found a fix? I can't find anything in preferences that might change this.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 8:34 AM

Hi jonmertmini,

We understand you're having trouble editing some contacts, because you're automatically sent to the top of the list when you try to select one.

If you haven't yet, restarting your iPhone normally, or forcing the app to close so a fresh instance of it opens the next time you tap the icon may help: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

Take care!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2021 8:34 AM in response to jonmertmini

Hi jonmertmini,

We understand you're having trouble editing some contacts, because you're automatically sent to the top of the list when you try to select one.

If you haven't yet, restarting your iPhone normally, or forcing the app to close so a fresh instance of it opens the next time you tap the icon may help: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

Take care!

Mar 18, 2021 7:26 AM in response to Ian Leckie

Yes, the issue is in OSX Mojave Contacts app., not the iphone. Secondly, just opening up contacts, then scrolling down to the contact I want to look at without editing it, then selecting the contact pulls it up to look at details of it, but immediately the application goes to the top-first contact in the DB. As if when I select the contact to see the details, my next move is to hit the HOME key which I am not doing. It will do that repeatedly driving me nuts. I've been all over Preferences, etc., not a clue why this is happing....thanks.

Mar 18, 2021 7:40 AM in response to jonmertmini

I do not have a definitive answer, but I would try....

Export your contacts (so you can reimport them if needed).

Ensure you have Quit contacts.app

Delete the Preferences for contacts (com.apple.AddressBook.plist) found in user/Library/Preferences.

Restart the Mac and test for problem.

If that fails delete the preference file again plus in the Library folder and then in the Application Support folder delete the contents of the address book folder.

Restart the Mac, open Contacts.app (which will now be empty) and import the contacts from the export you made.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Apple's Contacts Application Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.