Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow internet on iMac using Chrome

My iMac's internet speed is lower than any of my other devices. It's connected directly to the modem/router and I'm using Chrome as my browser. The download speed fluctuates, but usually it's anywhere between 50 and 100 Mbps. It doesn't matter if I switch to wifi because the speed's pretty much the same, maybe a little less. All of my other devices (MacBook Pro, iPads, iPhones, etc.) are on wifi and Chrome and are getting speeds of 275 Mbps (MacBook Pro), 350 Mbps (iPhones), etc.

However, if I switch my iMac to Safari I'm getting speeds of 350+ Mbps. Why is my iMac so slow on Chrome while everything else is so much higher?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 8:25 AM

First thing to do is the following even if all other devices on your network are performing okay.

• Reset Modem
  • Reset Router
  • Restart iMac and test.

Regarding Chrome, Chrome is a major resource hog regarding RAM. Every tab that is open (whether you are using it or not) takes up RAM and more than other browsers. Personally I prefer Safari but that is up to you. You can use the Activity Monitor tool (Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor) to manage your RAM. If you are unfamiliar with AM then please refer to https://support.apple.com/guide/activity-monitor/welcome/mac for assistance.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 8:25 AM in response to seadub64

First thing to do is the following even if all other devices on your network are performing okay.

• Reset Modem
  • Reset Router
  • Restart iMac and test.

Regarding Chrome, Chrome is a major resource hog regarding RAM. Every tab that is open (whether you are using it or not) takes up RAM and more than other browsers. Personally I prefer Safari but that is up to you. You can use the Activity Monitor tool (Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor) to manage your RAM. If you are unfamiliar with AM then please refer to https://support.apple.com/guide/activity-monitor/welcome/mac for assistance.

Mar 15, 2021 6:06 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks, but it didn't help.

I just find it strange that my MacBook Pro is getting speeds of around 300 Mbps on wifi using Chrome and my iMac is only getting less than 100 Mbps with a direct connection on Chrome. I even have more tabs open on the MacBook.

I guess I'll have to make the switch to Safari unless there are any other suggestions.

Slow internet on iMac using Chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.