Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Ex-Fat Issue

Hi all

I have two identical external hard drives (Transcend).

They are both set to Ex-Fat as I have a mixture of Windows and Apple Computers.

They are about 3 months old. They were formatted on an Apple IMAC to Ex-Fat.

They worked away fine as I backed up the lap top on it.

Now when I plug in the External Hard Drive the light flashes but it doesn't show up to be accessed.

I can stop the fsck process and the it comes up with error messages and that its read only and can't be repaired. It's not mounted and it can't be mounted

As far as I can see the disks themselves are fine. They read/write on Windows without issue.

In general its seems daft to me that with an Apple in 2021 you can't just plug in an out harddrives without ejecting them first. If you have power cut or other issues you can end up with an external hard drive that doesn't work properly.

I've searched for answers but there seems to be some extremely complex and over technical proposed solutions which don't seem to fix the problem at all. It also seems to be a common enough problem.

Is there any simple suggestions.

I've seen some suggestions like leave it plugged in and flashing and eventually maybe 30 mins later it might function properly.

Resetting VRAM is another and running scripts

None of them seem to actually work for people

Most questions seem to have hundreds of people with the same issue but no easy solution.

You buy into Apple because you expect it to work like their phones or IPADS.

After a number of years with an IMAC I'd have to say its underwhelming and makes Windows look pretty reasonable

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 3:37 PM

In the end once I stopped the fsck process I could see the drive.

It was read only.

From reading other places people were suggesting pressing fix.

I did this and it ran for a long time and looked stuck but eventually ended and the disk is operational again

Overall for me a poor Apple set up. There was no opportunity to go for Fix while fsck was endlessly running.

There are loads of job running so without knowing what I was looking for I couldn't have found which job was causing the issue.

A fully functioning Ex-Fat hard drive on Windows should not be malfunctioning on an IMAC

I think I will have to be careful to not leave the disks attached in case they get disengaged accidently (power cut / sudden shutdown). It seems to be very sensitive to hard drives suddenly losing connection. If I'm taking them out I always eject first (something I don't have to do on Windows)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2021 3:37 PM in response to HectorHector1970

In the end once I stopped the fsck process I could see the drive.

It was read only.

From reading other places people were suggesting pressing fix.

I did this and it ran for a long time and looked stuck but eventually ended and the disk is operational again

Overall for me a poor Apple set up. There was no opportunity to go for Fix while fsck was endlessly running.

There are loads of job running so without knowing what I was looking for I couldn't have found which job was causing the issue.

A fully functioning Ex-Fat hard drive on Windows should not be malfunctioning on an IMAC

I think I will have to be careful to not leave the disks attached in case they get disengaged accidently (power cut / sudden shutdown). It seems to be very sensitive to hard drives suddenly losing connection. If I'm taking them out I always eject first (something I don't have to do on Windows)

External Hard Drive Ex-Fat Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.