Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming rental movies on Itunes

I cant stream an Itunes rental movie on my Iphone 5S. My phone is updated, I have Apple TV app, and I also have Movies Anywhere. I dont have much space on my phone, but I only want to stream the rental, not download it. I have other movies I purchased on Itunes that are streaming just fine. When i click play on the rental I get an error saying there is a problem loading on this device. Sometimes it says not enough storage to download, but i pushed the play button, not the download button.

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 1:55 PM

You don’t have to download the full movie in order to stream (when you have a good Wi-Fi connection).

Your device will want to cache (download) small snippets of content though, to ensure smooth playback without buffering pauses.

Your device should have some free space to operate efficiently (2–5 GB or more). Almost full disks have no room for the system software to operate with temporary files of all kinds, including buffering.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2021 1:55 PM in response to john441

You don’t have to download the full movie in order to stream (when you have a good Wi-Fi connection).

Your device will want to cache (download) small snippets of content though, to ensure smooth playback without buffering pauses.

Your device should have some free space to operate efficiently (2–5 GB or more). Almost full disks have no room for the system software to operate with temporary files of all kinds, including buffering.

Mar 15, 2021 6:39 PM in response to john441

That seems to be a misunderstanding.

You can rent or buy from Apple’s iTunes Store without subscribing to anything. The optional subscription from Apple is called Apple TV+, and features Apple Originals exclusively (not available elsewhere). Renting, buying or subscribing from Apple will be billed to your Apple ID account.

You can rent or buy from Amazon without subscribing to Prime. The Prime subscription from Amazon will give you perks for both shopping with Amazon (tangible goods), as well as selected movies and TV shows that are included with the subscription. Renting, buying or subscribing from Amazon will be billed to your Amazon account.

Subscription content may not be transferable through Movies Anywhere.

Mar 15, 2021 5:53 PM in response to john441

It appears companies such as Amazon Prime Video is now requiring me to use their App with a paid subscription to purchase and view their movies. It also seems to me that Itunes is requiring some type of Apple interface such as an Apple App with a paid subscription to download or view movies from Itunes. What do you think? Is this correct?

Mar 16, 2021 12:57 AM in response to john441

One more note: I could not rent or buy a movie with Amazon videos until I downloaded the App and subscribed. It would let me watch and stream old videos I had already purchased previously. This looks to me like the companies are requiring use of their Apps with active subscriptions to use their services. This may ir may not be intentional, but it was my experience.

Mar 16, 2021 10:08 AM in response to john441

If that's the case then there would be further investigation needed.

The Apple TV app is free to use, the subscriptions are only required if you want to access content within Apple TV Plus or one of the other Apple TV channels that are hosted within that app.

Amazon Channels work differently, in that one cannot subscribe to those unless they already subscribe to Prime Video. If one just wanted to do a rental or purchase then that is completely separate and has no tie to a subscription.

Streaming rental movies on Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.