Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod not showing up as an audio output choice on Apple TV

I have both a HomePod and an Apple TV, both modern versions, both running totally updated software. For some reason I cannot get the option in the audio menu to choose the HomePod as the audio output for the Apple TV. I have the same configuration in another home at all works perfectly. When I go to the audio and video menu in the Apple TV I don’t even have a block to touch on that gives me output choices it’s not even there

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 12:53 PM

5 replies

Mar 14, 2021 2:49 PM in response to Pokey38

Which Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Is this a HomePod or HomePod mini?

They need to be on the same wifi network and signed in with the same Apple ID

Restart Apple TV

If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device

To AirPlay from the Control Center:

1. Press and hold the Home button  on the Siri Remote to open Control Center.
  2. Select the Audio Controls button .
  3. A list of available audio devices appears, organized by room (as assigned in the Home app on your iOS, iPadOS, or macOS device).

Mar 14, 2021 4:30 PM in response to Pokey38

Ok and the reason I asked which devices you had: if you have an ATV 4K and a big HomePod (not with a Mini) you would be able to set the HomePod as default Audio in the Settings > Video and Audio > Default Audio Output which you say is missing OR it can be set up via the Home App on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. 

Set up home theater audio with HomePod and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Note: if you don’t have the ATV 4K you won’t see Default Audio. The 4K looks the same as ATV HD but does not support the same features. 4K is the latest model Identify your Apple TV model

Mar 15, 2021 5:33 AM in response to Vancouver22

Yes, I see now. The Apple Support app lets me see every product I have and the one where I see that menu item is an "Apple TV 4K", The one where I cannot find it is an "Apple TV HD" . So I am looking for something that just isn't there in that version of the hardware. Thanks for clearing that up and teaching me the work around! I do appreciate the Apple Support Community. I have been an Apple guy since my first Apple IIe. I convinced my boss in the 1980's to run a all Mac office, which I have always been responsible for, and the best thing Apple ever did was create this community. Over the years I have gotten some great help! Just wanted you to know when people like you reply it is really great and much appreciated!! Thanks and take care

Mar 14, 2021 3:18 PM in response to Vancouver22

So I am not at the house now, out of town for work. I will say this. I was trying to access the speaker choice thru the settings button on teh Apple TV home screen, not from the Home button like you stated above, which I did not know was another way of doing it. When I look for the usual spot in settings under 'Audio and Video" there is no button for Default Audio output choices. I have literally the exact same set up at another property and everything I am describing above is there on that set up.It will be days before I can try this. For now, Both are on the same Wifi, same Apple Account. Both are running most current OS, I think 14.4 , I know I am not doing something stupid, as I said, I have this same set up in another location. Also, sitting there, my phone can screen mirror with the Apple TV AND can also broadcast over the HomePod, So that proves both are on that same network. I will report back as soon as I try to access from the Home Button.

HomePod not showing up as an audio output choice on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.