Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to MANUALLY save project in final cut pro?

I just lost my project because fcp crashed. My project wasn't 'automatically saved' somewhere on my drive and I had to recover it from backup which is being made by fcp rare. How do I manually save my project somewhere on my drive within 1 file (not automatically)?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 11:05 AM

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to hear from you! Now Im sure I won't ever use final cut pro again.

5 replies

Mar 14, 2021 7:49 AM in response to VityaSchel

When you say “project”, do you mean “library”?

FCP makes a backup of a library in 15 minute intervals if there have been changes. The backups fo not contain media, only the structure of the library.

That is what is puzzling me: if you actually meant “project”, and you don’t find the project in your library, how would it appear in a backup?

And if you meant “library”, and you can’t find it but open a backup instead, how did you recover the media?

Please clarify.

Mar 14, 2021 8:51 AM in response to VityaSchel

It is still unclear what the issue was, and you should make sure to clear your preferences after a crash.

However, being that this is no "save" command, there are two things that you CAN do:

a) Make a snapshot. This saves an exact copy of your project in the browser. The standard shortcut is Command-Shift-D.

The snapshot will be named including a timestamp. I think this is the best way to get peace of mind, also if something in your editing goes wrong you can easily pick it up at that point in time.

EDIT: you can even assign it the standard Command-S shortcut, if you like.

b) Export XML. This is a text-based description of your project, which you can save anywhere you like, even e-mail or whatever you need to do with it. Select the project, and do File->Export XML...

How to MANUALLY save project in final cut pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.