Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtone volume bug on iOS 14.4

There's a bug on iOS 14.4 on my iPhone 6s. Every few days the volume just sets to maximum volume even if I left it on the lowest volume possible or on the option of controlling it with the volume buttons activated.

How do I solve this issue? Is it a bug that other people have experienced?

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 5:12 AM

Hey andre__46,

Thanks for following up on this!

What you've described with the 'Change with Buttons' option is expected behavior. You can read more about how to control your volume for your ringer and alerts here, too: Adjust the volume on iPhone

If you experience anything other than what you've described, feel free to reach out to Apple Support for continued support: Get Support

Take care!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 5:12 AM in response to andre__46

Hey andre__46,

Thanks for following up on this!

What you've described with the 'Change with Buttons' option is expected behavior. You can read more about how to control your volume for your ringer and alerts here, too: Adjust the volume on iPhone

If you experience anything other than what you've described, feel free to reach out to Apple Support for continued support: Get Support

Take care!

Mar 16, 2021 6:04 AM in response to andre__46

Hey andre__46,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand your ringer volume appears to be changing on its own unexpectedly. Let's look into this more with you and see how we can help out.

Below are a few steps we'd like you to check on, and try out, to see if it can correct this behavior.

-Consider backing up your data and updating to the latest iOS 14 version available under Settings > General > Software Update: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

-Remove any protective case from your device and test to see if that resolves the behavior.

-Do you use a wired or wireless accessory with volume control buttons with your iPhone? If so, test with that device unplugged or unpaired from your iPhone to isolate to, or away from, the volume buttons on the accessory.

-You mentioned checking volume buttons. Are you referring to Settings > Sound & Haptics > Change with Buttons? If not, try toggling this option to see if that makes a difference.

If the behavior remains, let us know if the volume indicator actually changes position in Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts, when you notice this occur.

Best regards.

Mar 18, 2021 4:32 AM in response to Sharon_419

Dear Sharon,

thank you for your feedback. I tried to update to the latest iOS and I hope the issue is solved.

So, the first problem I mentioned was the volume in Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringer and Alerts going from 10% where I left it to 100% without me moving it.

What is actually happening is that when the Change with Buttons? options is ON and I press the volume buttons on the side of the iPhone: it changes the ringtone volume in the Settings menu but not in the Control Center (swipe up).

I remembered it behaved differently prior to this iOS, but I may be mistaken: I remember they moved together, both the volume in the settings and the volume I see in the control center (or on the left of the screen). So that if you changed the volume of the Control Center it also influenced the Ringtone volume.

If the Change with Buttons? options is OFF, the volume in the Settings does not move when I press the buttons, but the control center and left part of the screen move. Maybe this is the point.

I hope that by keeping it on OFF and on 10% it will not pop back up to 100% on its own because when the alarm rings it is way too loud.

Regards

Mar 19, 2021 4:03 AM in response to Sharon_419

Hi Sharon,

sorry but the problem is not solved: the "Change with buttons" option is switched off and again it has changed from 10% to 100% without me doing anything.

I don't know if it is the iOS or it could be linked to some Bluetooth devices I am using. I want to specify that I do not change the volume to 100% from these devices, so it must be a bug of some sort.

The two devices are Bose SoundLink Mini SE and Bose QuietComfort 35 II.

I maybe saw an issue when I receive a call on these devices and then either switch to loudspeaker or to the earbuds.

How can I avoid this issue of the volume going to 100% (without me setting it to 100%)?

Regards

Ringtone volume bug on iOS 14.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.