Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac trade in

I received my new iMac on 3/11/2021. When can I expect the trade-in kit to be delivered? Does the 14 day trade-in period begin when the kit arrives?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 2:40 PM

tammar21 Said:

"iMac trade in: I received my new iMac on 3/11/2021. When can I expect the trade-in kit to be delivered? Does the 14 day trade-in period begin when the kit arrives?"

-------

Based on Personal Experience:

How Long:

If you've initiated the trade in, Apple needs within 14 days of initiating the trade-in. It takes only a couple of days - with Sundays and certain holidays getting in the way. So, expect it soon. Get it to them soon.

1. Go Here: Apple Trade In: Apple
  2. Scroll to: Frequently Asked Questions
  3. Read: How much will I get for my trade-in?
  4. Read: How long does the online trade-in process take?
  5. Read: Other Bullet Points

Backing Up and All:

When I got mine I read to visit and perform what is on the following link: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2021 2:40 PM in response to tammar21

tammar21 Said:

"iMac trade in: I received my new iMac on 3/11/2021. When can I expect the trade-in kit to be delivered? Does the 14 day trade-in period begin when the kit arrives?"

-------

Based on Personal Experience:

How Long:

If you've initiated the trade in, Apple needs within 14 days of initiating the trade-in. It takes only a couple of days - with Sundays and certain holidays getting in the way. So, expect it soon. Get it to them soon.

1. Go Here: Apple Trade In: Apple
  2. Scroll to: Frequently Asked Questions
  3. Read: How much will I get for my trade-in?
  4. Read: How long does the online trade-in process take?
  5. Read: Other Bullet Points

Backing Up and All:

When I got mine I read to visit and perform what is on the following link: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 14, 2021 3:21 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:
If you've initiated the trade in, Apple needs within 14 days of initiating the trade-in.

Note that when the trade is done as part of a purchase of a new Mac, as is apparently the case with the OP, it may be weeks (or months) before the new Mac is delivered and the 14 days starts as described below in the the email they sent me when I traded:

Once you receive the kit, you’ll have 14 days to return your device.

Mar 14, 2021 4:19 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth Said:

“Note that when the trade is done as part of a purchase of a new Mac, as is apparently the case with the OP, it may be weeks (or months) before the new Mac is delivered and the 14 days starts as described below in the the email they sent me when I traded: Once you receive the kit, you’ll have 14 days to return your device.“

———-

To Clarify:

I’m referring to the box you get in the mail to ship the trade in item with.

Took just two days to get the trade-in box in the mail from FedEx; one day to perform as instructed; and the next day I shipped it out.

Didn't get the item for a few days (three, if I recall) — but that was back in 2018, prior to all the Coronavirus going around.

Apr 23, 2021 8:02 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Well, I believe there is a reason for the time limit: you are offered/quoted a price for your old device. Any such offer must have a time limit because, if it didn't, there could be accidental damage to the device a month later. In other words, it could be in much different condition than it was when the deal was agreed upon. If you traded in a car and were offered a certain amount, they would not allow you to drive it around for another month before turning it in.

Such is the problem with a trade in. If you have a current backup of your device on an external drive, there is no problem. And, if you have another device to use until you get a new iMac, it will not be a problem either. The only time there may be a problem is if that is your only device. The only solutions are:

Wait until after you get your device, start over with your trade in, and get a gift card for a future purchase,

or, wait until later and then sell it yourself (which, by the way, will almost certainly result in a better price).

Apr 23, 2021 8:20 AM in response to babowa

Bruce Kieffer wrote:

This is a problem. You order a new Mac and trade in your old Mac. It may take months to get your new Mac, but you have to send in your old Mac within 14 days of receiving the trade in kit. Has anyone found a solution to this using the Apple trade in program?

I traded in a MacBook Pro about 9 months ago. I set up the trade-in at the same time as I ordered the new MacBook Pro at Apple online. It took 3 or 4 weeks before the new MacBook Pro was shipped (that was expected and was the normal delivery time then). The trade-in kit did not ship until the new Mac did and it arrived several days after the new Mac. I then had 14 days.

Apr 25, 2021 11:22 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Bruce Kieffer wrote:

Rereading the Apple trade in info I believe the 14 days to return the traded in computer refers to the time they will guarantee the quoted trade in price. More than 14 days and there may be an adjustment to the trade in price. That makes sense.

That's correct, but note that the 14 days starts from receipt of the trade-in kit. See the following which is from the email I received when my order shipped (3 or 4 weeks after I initiated the trade):

Apple Trade In

Your trade-in has been initiated.

Thanks for using Apple Trade In. Soon you’ll receive a trade-in kit so you can easily ship back your current device. Once you receive the kit, you’ll have 14 days to return your device.

iMac trade in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.