Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac turns off when I remove the power cord

why my MacBook Pro turns on only when wire-connected to power? It shuts off when power cord is removed

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 3:22 PM

applequestioner110 Said:

"mac turns off when I remove the power cord: why my MacBook Pro turns on only when wire-connected to power? It shuts off when power cord is removed"

-------

Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Is it charging?
  • Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2021 3:22 PM in response to applequestioner110

applequestioner110 Said:

"mac turns off when I remove the power cord: why my MacBook Pro turns on only when wire-connected to power? It shuts off when power cord is removed"

-------

Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Is it charging?
  • Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Mar 14, 2021 5:06 PM in response to applequestioner110

applequestioner110 Said:

"mac turns off when I remove the power cord: One thing I noticed was: the battery status says "needs service... works normally but can't hold the power". Could be it need a battery replacement? Seems to have replaceable battery. Can I do it or go to some 'Mobile Kangaroo'.. ? Thanks for the help!"

-------

You are welcome. Thank you for the followup..

Reson fo a New Device:

You are welcome. It seems to me that it may be time for a new battery. Try a different charger. And try a different port. If of no success, then, being almost a decade old-device, I see this as being a good reason to upgrade to a more-recent device.

Getting this Serviced:

Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Mar 14, 2021 7:46 PM in response to applequestioner110

applequestioner110 Said:

"mac turns off when I remove the power cord: [...]I believe the problem occurred on an update in Sierra. Then I updated to Catalina, problem didn't go away. [...]Thx. much... I will go to an AASP for the battery By the way, Macbook Pro is also very very slow since this problem started. May be slow speed is also related to weak battery? Hope the AASP resolves it"

-------

Downgrading:

If it is slow, then downgrading to High-Sierra, may be the ultimate solution. All would be performed manually, if no backup exists.

Restore from a Backup:

Did you create a backup of your Mac prior to updating your Mac? if so, restore from the backup. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your Mac, prior making any major change to your device, such as an update.

Mar 14, 2021 4:16 PM in response to TheLittles

The for the response; here are some answers

power: I believe the problem occurred on an update in Sierra. Then I updated to Catalina, problem didn't go away.

The macbook pro is from mid 2012; no other problem so far

different charger: I tried, but no luck

The links you sent: I have been going thru. One thing I noticed was: the battery status says "needs service... works normally but can't hold the power". Could be it need a battery replacement? Seems to have replaceable battery. Can I do it or go to some 'Mobile Kangaroo'.. ? Thanks for the help!

mac turns off when I remove the power cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.