Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus alert- Scam

I just got a loud beep- and a warning pop up- virus alert- 3 viruses on my computer, 84% damaging, link to scan for these- pressed that then link to purchase software for $85. At this point I shut down the computer. Any damage? What is next step please?im presuming scam, just hoping when I pressed link I didn’t activate viruses?how would I know?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 6:14 AM

This scam is trying to sell you expensive and useless 'anti-virus' software. As you didn't proceed it's most unlikely you will have any problems.

All pop-ups. phone calls. texts or messages saying you have a virus or viruses are without exeption scams. No-one can detect remotely wheether you have viruses.., and it's most unlikely that you have as long as you are sensible and don't do things like downloading 'free' versions of what should be paid-for software from dubious sources.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 6:14 AM in response to judyfunder

This scam is trying to sell you expensive and useless 'anti-virus' software. As you didn't proceed it's most unlikely you will have any problems.

All pop-ups. phone calls. texts or messages saying you have a virus or viruses are without exeption scams. No-one can detect remotely wheether you have viruses.., and it's most unlikely that you have as long as you are sensible and don't do things like downloading 'free' versions of what should be paid-for software from dubious sources.

Virus alert- Scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.