Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

home button broken - how to back up the phone

my iphone home button is broken, I can't unlock it so it can't connect to the computer via the wire to back it up, I want to make sure I back it up then erase everything/clean it up before I send it for repair. Please help.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 8:07 AM

I wasn't being rude. You NEVER suggested you had backed up the phone. What you asked was how to back up a damaged phone. The answer is you can't. Since you have automatic backup, your data is safe, which is good.

Apple will want you to remove Find My from the phone and that can be done using these instructions --> Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 8:07 AM in response to GroBidou

I wasn't being rude. You NEVER suggested you had backed up the phone. What you asked was how to back up a damaged phone. The answer is you can't. Since you have automatic backup, your data is safe, which is good.

Apple will want you to remove Find My from the phone and that can be done using these instructions --> Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2021 7:56 AM in response to lobsterghost1

wow, that's a nice friendly help you got there for me. I really appreciate it. My first time on the apple forum to figure out whether I could get some help... Makes me feel good about myself.

It turns out I do have automatic icloud back up, everyday 7am, and I am in the process of shipping my phone for Apple to repair it. However, they ask for me to double check it's backed up and then to delete/erase the content of my phone before I send it.

This is what I am trying to do, but no connection to the phone even with the wire because it's requiring for me to unlock the phone to allow for the USB connection.

I thought I would ask, but you got enough time to get on my case, this is not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks for your help.

Mar 15, 2021 7:58 AM in response to GroBidou

GroBidou wrote:

wow, that's a nice friendly help you got there for me. I really appreciate it. My first time on the apple forum to figure out whether I could get some help... Makes me feel good about myself.

However, they ask for me to double check it's backed up and then to delete/erase the content of my phone before I send it.

It's physically impossible to do that given the condition of the phone currently.

The only thing you might be able to do, assuming it still has a data connection, is use Find My to erase the device.

home button broken - how to back up the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.