Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Fusion Drive

Hi All,

I have an iMac with a 2TB fusion drive (120GB Blade SSD + 2TB Mechanical HD). I want to replace the 2TB Mechanical HD with a 2TB SSD. After I install the 2TB SSD, can I still fuse the two SSDs together?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 9:14 AM

What most experienced users (including myself) will advise it to simply buy an external SSD and use that as your startup drive. If the old internal drive is okay, just use it for additional storage. The is the fastest and easiest method to expand.

The iMacs that has Fusion drives (2012 - 2019) are extremely difficult to work on and opening them is NOT recommended.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 9:14 AM in response to RMS

What most experienced users (including myself) will advise it to simply buy an external SSD and use that as your startup drive. If the old internal drive is okay, just use it for additional storage. The is the fastest and easiest method to expand.

The iMacs that has Fusion drives (2012 - 2019) are extremely difficult to work on and opening them is NOT recommended.

Upgrading Fusion Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.