Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Late 2014 NVMe upgrade

So, i have an imac late 2014 27 inch 5k 1.12tb fusion drive

I've read a lot about replacing the internal 128gb blade drive for a faster NVMe ssd.

A lot of people saying upgrade the hdd whilst in there.

Now, i wouldn't need any more than 1tb of storage as i off load most of my work to multiple external ssd quite regularly. So the question i want to ask is can i replace the blade drive and take out the hdd totally?

The thought process behind this is to utilise the high speed of the NVMe all the time as apposed to sharing it with the slower internal sata drive.

Also, do any of you have any good experiences with 1tb NVMe drives and what speeds can they achieve?

Thanks in advance

Will

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 11:19 AM

You can take out the HDD. That's how the SSD-only configurations were shipped (no HDD). Alternatively you could leave the HDD in and use the two as separate logical drives (not fused).

I'm getting 1150MB/s read and 1000MB/s write with a 500GB Crucial P2 in a 2015 Macbook Air using a JESOT M.2 adapter. Its not the fastest drive and is running a bit slower than hoped/advertised, but it is still faster and higher capacity than the 128GB OEM drive it replaced so I'm happy. Also for a laptop I wanted something with above average power efficiency.

Of course, accessing the SSD in a 2015 MBA is a LOT easier than in your 2014 5K... are you sure using the external SSDs for work isn't fast enough?

Make sure you have a data backup (and possibly also a USB installer) for recovery after replacing the internal drive.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2021 11:19 AM in response to willim128

You can take out the HDD. That's how the SSD-only configurations were shipped (no HDD). Alternatively you could leave the HDD in and use the two as separate logical drives (not fused).

I'm getting 1150MB/s read and 1000MB/s write with a 500GB Crucial P2 in a 2015 Macbook Air using a JESOT M.2 adapter. Its not the fastest drive and is running a bit slower than hoped/advertised, but it is still faster and higher capacity than the 128GB OEM drive it replaced so I'm happy. Also for a laptop I wanted something with above average power efficiency.

Of course, accessing the SSD in a 2015 MBA is a LOT easier than in your 2014 5K... are you sure using the external SSDs for work isn't fast enough?

Make sure you have a data backup (and possibly also a USB installer) for recovery after replacing the internal drive.

Jul 15, 2021 1:04 PM in response to willim128

You would have to nearly disassemble the entire iMac to get at the NVME adapter. Not worth any costly mistakes that are lying in wait for you. Why not go for a fast external USB3 drive, as you have Thunderbolt 2 ports and no one is making TB2 drives now.

Choose an SSD from OWC (MacSales) or Crucial, and use Carbon Copy Cloner 6 to clone your internal drive to the external drive, set the startup drive to the external, and march on.

Imac Late 2014 NVMe upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.