Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is my ipad broken or can it be fixed?

hi! so, I recently found an old ipad, that doesn’t have any cracks and it’s in perfectly good condition; however, it doesnt turn on. it has a black screen and some lines, colors like green, white, blue, red, and white. the lines like that >>

also, i am not sure what type of ipad this is. but, i’m just wondering if i can be fix it myself or will I need to get another one because it doesn’t work?

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 11:41 AM

Your photograph suggests a display or GPU failure - that will require repair. Whether or not a potential repair is viable, or cost effective, will be determined by your iPad model.

You might attempt a forced-restart...

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Note: If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 11:41 AM in response to jocelyne67

Your photograph suggests a display or GPU failure - that will require repair. Whether or not a potential repair is viable, or cost effective, will be determined by your iPad model.

You might attempt a forced-restart...

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Note: If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen.

Mar 15, 2021 11:40 AM in response to jocelyne67

Hi there,

You cannot fix it yourself, I wouldn't repair outside of apple unless it was free :)

guessing for what iPad it might be from the bezel I can see in the screenshot, you might not be able to get a paid replacement at Apple (after a certain product/part age repair/replacement (paid or not) is not an option) .

At the back, close to the bottom there should be a serial no Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support add it in the box and you'll find what iPad is it and if you can get a paid replacement.

Contact Apple Support

is my ipad broken or can it be fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.