Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Board - Damaged

Post Apple

Hi,
 I do not understand about hardware stuff - please help me!

The logic board of my MacBook Pro 16” 2019 which I bought in October/2020 is damaged.

That was the information provided by an Apple’s authorized repair close to where I live (this store is the only one around my city and no official Apple Store around here).
They could not do a backup, so I lost everything!!!! (and yes, I did not have a backup).

What happened was, I was using my laptop normally and suddenly it turned off and did not turn on again. I spoke with Apple’s support online and they tried all those standard procedures to turn it on. Nothing worked and they advised me to go to this place.

The MacBook Pro is really new, around 5 months and it is completely annoying to have a ~$3700 (AUD) laptop which a problem like this in a few months of use.

Before this problem, I was using the MBP connected with an external monitor most part of the time.

I noticed that just plugging in the external monitor (not even using the computer) to the laptop was warming it up considerably.

When I started to use it (always light use, nothing special, just a few tabs, music, docs) while connected, the heat would increase drastically and the battery would drain really really quickly. So I was using it most part of the time connected to the charger.

I search about this problem on internet and I found a lot of infuriated people with the same problem - what I found is a “known problem” that Apple does not provide any explanation for. How can a laptop like this warm too much just because there is an external monitor connected to it? (my old MBP 2014, which I am using now with external, never had this problem and is in normal temperature).

I found that Apple advertises this version of MacBook is able to connect up to 2 external 4K monitors(?!?!?). What would happen? The laptop would burn or explode, I guess.

I will be honest, for a few reasons I do not trust 100% in this service repair store. I will also ask these questions to them but want different opinions. My questions are:

1. What can cause or what are the most common/WORST reason to have a damaged logic board?

2. Would it be possible that the use of an external monitor and consequently the heating damaged the logic board?

3. Again, how can a laptop like this warm too much just because there is an external monitor connected to it?

4. What should I do related to Apple? Is not acceptable to have a big problem like this on a new laptop, right?

5. I read here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2560839) that a problem in the logic board can cause many other problems, for example in the SSD. So, in the service order they wrote “logic board replacement”, what can I expect after the service? Will I have problems soon? Will they change the SSD as well?

Please help me! It is so frustrating and annoying, only 5 months of use!!!

Thank you very much!

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 7:21 PM

aleborbasevero wrote:

1. What can cause or what are the most common/WORST reason to have a damaged logic board?

Any connected device has the potential to damage the Logic Board by overloading the protective safety circuitry. It doesn't help that the laptop is now powered by the same ports used for data and peripherals. While I've only worked on one 16" MBPro, the 13" & 15" models are basically the same I've only had to replace a couple of Logic Boards in our organizations MBPros that were not directly related to accidental liquid damage. The Logic Boards on these USB-C Macs contain so much integrated items that it is hard to say for sure.

2. Would it be possible that the use of an external monitor and consequently the heating damaged the logic board?
3. Again, how can a laptop like this warm too much just because there is an external monitor connected to it?

Yes, any connected device can potentially damage the Logic Board, so make sure to use good quality devices.

You are assuming the issue is heat related. There were multiple posts on these forums just after the launch of the 16" where people found that using the USB-C charger on the left ports would cause the 16" MBPro to run the CPU at 100% and have the fans run at high speed, but simply using the charger on the right side ports corrected the issue. If this can happen, then we have no way of knowing what was causing your symptoms without knowing a lot more details such as installed software and connected devices and seeing the issue first hand. From troubleshooting our own organizations USB-C MBPros I can tell you it isn't easy to figure out what is going on with them.

4. What should I do related to Apple? Is not acceptable to have a big problem like this on a new laptop, right?

You can have someone else troubleshoot your system to see exactly what is going on. Just like anything else a second opinion may give you more answers especially if you can find someone who is very knowledgeable about these USB-C MBPros (it isn't an exact science and it does require lots of direct personal experience which most techs likely won't have -- these laptops make that little sense when troubleshooting them). I've been troubleshooting them since 2016 and I still don't consider myself an expert because they make absolutely no sense compared to troubleshooting older Macs or PCs in general (this even includes macOS). I will no longer recommend any Apple computer to anyone from what I've personally seen and experienced with the hardware and with macOS.

You can provide product feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You can also contact Apple corporate to voice your displeasure plus you can also check your local consumer protection laws.

5. I read here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2560839) that a problem in the logic board can cause many other problems, for example in the SSD. So, in the service order they wrote “logic board replacement”, what can I expect after the service? Will I have problems soon? Will they change the SSD as well?

The SSD is integrated into the Logic Board of most MBPros since 2016. While the 2016-2017 models with the T1 chip had a special connector on the Logic Board to directly access the SSD using an Apple service tool in case of a Logic Board failure, unfortunately the 2018+ models with the T2 security chip no longer have this special connector. If you needed to have your data retrieved, then Apple should have offered to send the bad Logic Board to a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack to attempt recovery of your data. I don't even know if it is possible to recover data from a 2018+ board with the T2 chip unless the data recovery service actually fixes the Logic Board so the T2 chip can decrypt your SSD since the SSD is hardware encrypted. Personally I would have insisted on having the Logic Board sent to Drive Savers to attempt data recovery.

I would definitely check the health of the SSD on the replacement Logic Board using DriveDX. Our organization just had an SSD failure on a Logic Board 90 days after the laptop had its Logic Board replaced (luckily we were within the 90 day part warranty so we got the Logic Board replaced for free). The SSD went into read-only mode where I was able to access the data one time, but the next time I went to access the SSD it was impossible to mount the SSD. It seems the SSD on the replacement Logic Board was already worn out when the Logic Board was installed in our laptop so now I test each SSD that Apple replaces to make sure it is not worn out (each Logic Board is refurbished -- aka used). This is one of the dangers of having an SSD integrated into a Logic Board.

Otherwise generally you should not have any problems with the replacement Logic Board assuming it was properly refurbished (most are, but occasionally I have seen some very poorly refurbished boards from Apple over the years).

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 7:21 PM in response to aleborbasevero

aleborbasevero wrote:

Any connected device has the potential to damage the Logic Board by overloading the protective safety circuitry. It doesn't help that the laptop is now powered by the same ports used for data and peripherals. While I've only worked on one 16" MBPro, the 13" & 15" models are basically the same I've only had to replace a couple of Logic Boards in our organizations MBPros that were not directly related to accidental liquid damage. The Logic Boards on these USB-C Macs contain so much integrated items that it is hard to say for sure.

Yes, any connected device can potentially damage the Logic Board, so make sure to use good quality devices.

You are assuming the issue is heat related. There were multiple posts on these forums just after the launch of the 16" where people found that using the USB-C charger on the left ports would cause the 16" MBPro to run the CPU at 100% and have the fans run at high speed, but simply using the charger on the right side ports corrected the issue. If this can happen, then we have no way of knowing what was causing your symptoms without knowing a lot more details such as installed software and connected devices and seeing the issue first hand. From troubleshooting our own organizations USB-C MBPros I can tell you it isn't easy to figure out what is going on with them.

You can have someone else troubleshoot your system to see exactly what is going on. Just like anything else a second opinion may give you more answers especially if you can find someone who is very knowledgeable about these USB-C MBPros (it isn't an exact science and it does require lots of direct personal experience which most techs likely won't have -- these laptops make that little sense when troubleshooting them). I've been troubleshooting them since 2016 and I still don't consider myself an expert because they make absolutely no sense compared to troubleshooting older Macs or PCs in general (this even includes macOS). I will no longer recommend any Apple computer to anyone from what I've personally seen and experienced with the hardware and with macOS.

You can provide product feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

You can also contact Apple corporate to voice your displeasure plus you can also check your local consumer protection laws.

The SSD is integrated into the Logic Board of most MBPros since 2016. While the 2016-2017 models with the T1 chip had a special connector on the Logic Board to directly access the SSD using an Apple service tool in case of a Logic Board failure, unfortunately the 2018+ models with the T2 security chip no longer have this special connector. If you needed to have your data retrieved, then Apple should have offered to send the bad Logic Board to a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack to attempt recovery of your data. I don't even know if it is possible to recover data from a 2018+ board with the T2 chip unless the data recovery service actually fixes the Logic Board so the T2 chip can decrypt your SSD since the SSD is hardware encrypted. Personally I would have insisted on having the Logic Board sent to Drive Savers to attempt data recovery.

I would definitely check the health of the SSD on the replacement Logic Board using DriveDX. Our organization just had an SSD failure on a Logic Board 90 days after the laptop had its Logic Board replaced (luckily we were within the 90 day part warranty so we got the Logic Board replaced for free). The SSD went into read-only mode where I was able to access the data one time, but the next time I went to access the SSD it was impossible to mount the SSD. It seems the SSD on the replacement Logic Board was already worn out when the Logic Board was installed in our laptop so now I test each SSD that Apple replaces to make sure it is not worn out (each Logic Board is refurbished -- aka used). This is one of the dangers of having an SSD integrated into a Logic Board.

Otherwise generally you should not have any problems with the replacement Logic Board assuming it was properly refurbished (most are, but occasionally I have seen some very poorly refurbished boards from Apple over the years).

Mar 19, 2021 7:58 PM in response to HWTech

They are the worst laptops Apple has ever made and it doesn't help that macOS is also deteriorating in quality as well.

Precisely because of that, I recently bought both a refurb 2017 iMac from Apple with Applecare and a brand new in the box 2017 Macbook Air from a third party seller with Applecare (original buyer never took it out of the box). I should be set for quite a while.

Mar 29, 2021 5:53 PM in response to HWTech

HWTech, I got the laptop from the repair service and did the checkup with DriverDx. I attached the print screen to this post. Apparently all good, right?

The cycle count on the DriverDx is different from the battery cycle count? I mean, different things, right? SSD x Battery...? I have zero knowledge about all these things.

One thing I noticed so far I posted on the following thread, is there any relation? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252611089

Thank you again!

Mar 15, 2021 2:24 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman

I know we all are users. I did not understand your answer. I am sure many users here can help me with all, or at least the majority, of my questions. The words "post apple" at the beginning were an error because I copied and pasted this text from my notes.

I read some old topics with similar problems, so there are people here that can help or guide me. There is no meaning in your answer when saying "contact Apple".

What is the purpose of your answer?

I am asking people who understand about hardware, logic board, laptop in general AND/OR have/had the same issue to help me. Of course, I will ask Apple but again, I believe people here can help or give suggestions and information.

Mar 15, 2021 2:48 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for your reply.

I checked my warranty before contacting the authorized assistance, Apple, and the community - I have a warranty but it does not mean it's ok a laptop with 5 months of use to have a problem like this. Especially when it constantly overheats. Of course, it is acceptable from the point of view that any component is susceptible to stop working - but as a customer, it is frustrating and easy to become worried and suspicious.

Knowing that the computer would shut down before any damage was valuable, thanks! However, it raises another question - if was not the heating, what could damage it? I know, many situations might damage the logic board, but that is the reason why I asked the most common or worst scenario when dealing with a logic board. As an example, you can see I also asked about SSD.

I know only Apple will solve my problem but as I have zero knowledge about this kind of stuff I do not see any problem collecting opinions (as I did searching on the internet) to better understand this situation - and here is probably the best place.

All questions, excluding #4, are susceptible to community member responses in order to to help me.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Mar 15, 2021 2:51 PM in response to aleborbasevero

Of course, I will ask Apple but again, I believe people here can help or give suggestions and information.

We cannot solve hardware problems. And, all electronic parts fail at some point - some sooner, some later. Unless Apple publishes an article explaining why it is failing (which they do not routinely), there is no way an end user would be able to have an answer for you. The only person who could give you an answer would be the technician who took out the failed logic board and tested it in a professional lab for the cause of the failure.

Mar 19, 2021 8:30 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech, thank you very much for all the information!

I am waiting for the repair and will do what you said when the laptop is in my hands. I hope there is no problem with my SSD or any other component. But, if I sadly encounter an SSD problem, would it be an Apple issue as well? Like the logic board was damaged and it causes the SSD problem, so will it be under warranty?

"There were multiple posts on these forums just after the launch of the 16" where people found that using the USB-C charger on the left ports would cause the 16" MBPro to run the CPU at 100% and have the fans run at high speed, but simply using the charger on the right side ports corrected the issue." - I was using it in on the right side. But for me, it did not have any difference, both sides were overheating.

And I am also really frustrated with this MacBook Pro. I can't understand how a computer at this price and specifications can have some problems like this one or something simple like I can't have an external monitor connected to it without overheating, really really bad.

I will read your post again when I got the laptop and will follow your tips. Again, thanks a lot!

edit: I choose my own answer as helpful by mistake and can't disable it.

Mar 19, 2021 6:59 PM in response to aleborbasevero

aleborbasevero wrote:

But, if I sadly encounter an SSD problem, would it be an Apple issue as well? Like the logic board was damaged and it causes the SSD problem, so will it be under warranty?

It is rare an SSD fails due to being damaged. SSDs usually just fail on their own for multiple reasons. Since Apple now integrates SSDs directly onto the Logic Board it means any Logic Board failures or damages will mean losing all data that is not backed up.

And I am also really frustrated with this MacBook Pro. I can't understand how a computer at this price and specifications can have some problems like this one or something simple like I can't have an external monitor connected to it without overheating, really really bad.

I can understand your frustrations as I am equally frustrated in supporting these USB-C Macs. They are the worst laptops Apple has ever made and it doesn't help that macOS is also deteriorating in quality as well.

Logic Board - Damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.