Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other storage suddenly jump from 5gb to 37gb

Hi,

I have MBP 2019 16'' and with only 4 months of use the logic board got damaged and I needed to change it (completely annoying). At this time I was with Catalina 10.15.7. Now with the new logic board, I did not update and it came with Catalina 10.15.1.

Yesterday I picked the laptop from the service store and started to use it. I lost all my files and docs with the logic board issue and did not have a backup. Actually, I have not transferred most of them so not a big problem.

The problem is: When setting up the computer I checked the storage and it was ok. Before the damaged logic board and when I started to use the laptop after serviced my storage was around 5GB in the Other section. Now, and suddenly, it is 36GB and keeps increasing.

I have no backup in Time Machine, no photos, no iPhone backup, nothing... I have no idea why as the laptop is really new! What should I do?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 5:29 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 29, 2021 5:48 PM in response to aleborbasevero

A user cannot do much about "Other" category in Storage.

It is up to macOS.

Quote:

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/guide/system-information/see-available-storage-space-syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

Please read articles listed "See Also" section at the bottom of this page.

Mar 29, 2021 5:58 PM in response to dominic23

dominic23 thanks for the reply.

The problem is, how can my mac's storage be 5GB full in the Other category before and now, for no reason, jump to 37GB? I just started to use the computer, barely installed software, no backups, no photos, no videos, nothing. And it keeps increasing!

My girlfriend's MacBook Air is been in use for almost a year and it has only 5GB in Other section. This can't be normal.

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2021 6:20 PM in response to dominic23

Thanks! I totally understand the "user has no control" and I read the article and all the recommendation does not apply to me. The bin is empty, no documents, no TV show, no clutter... Actually, the computer is completely empty (as the photo shows, I only have 5.74GB of Apps and 1.82GB of documents).

There is no logic or good reason to suddenly have 37GB. As I said, this can't be normal. How long have you been using your Mac?

Thanks.

Other storage suddenly jump from 5gb to 37gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.