Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I backup my Mac with Time Machine to an external drive with ExFAT format?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 12:51 PM

It is not a good idea to put a backup on a drive containing other data. Defeats the functionality/purpose of a backup.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 15, 2021 7:42 PM in response to Max_dR

I definitely agree with @BobTheFisherman. Why do you want to risk your backup? A backup is meant for emergency purposes when you have already lost the main copy of the data. You don't want to find out your backup is damaged when trying to restore your system.

Purchase another drive for storing data. To clarify what @BobTheFisherman mentions is if the data that will be stored on external drive is important & unique, then you need to backup that data on the external drive as well as your system drive. Backing up the data to the same drive is not a backup since both copies of the data reside on the same device. If that single device fails, then you lose both copies of the data. How is that useful to you?

Mar 17, 2021 3:09 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your responses. I must apologize for not doing a good job of explaining my problem correctly.

I have an external drive (1Tb) that is used for Time Machine backup. Currently Disk Utility shows me that 770.97 Gb is used. This drive has begun acting up so I wish to back it up to another external HD (1Tb), in effect make a copy of the Time Machine backup. Both drives are formatted MacOsExt(Journaled). Time Machine automated backups is disabled on my 16”MacBookPro (running Mojave 10.14.6) while I undergo copy of Time Machine from old drive to new drive. However the moment I begin to copy the drive, the progress bars displays:

1) “Preparing to copy to new drive”

... the numbers here keep increasing has it does an accrual of all the files which are to be copied... last time I attempted this there were over two and a half million items(!), took over twelve hours and could not terminate... why?

2) “Copying 184,034 items to new drive”… and directly under the progress bar I am informed “1.07 TB of 1.07TB - About 5 seconds”

... how can this be?

Disk Utility informs me that the old 1TB drive is using 770+ Gb of space and that the new 1Tb drive has 999.86 Gb of free space (virtually empty). But the moment I begin the copying process (drag the Backups.backupdb file to the new drive), the size of the file (per what is expressed in the progress bars) mushrooms to 1.07 Tb. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Mar 17, 2021 3:54 PM in response to Max_dR

<< in effect make a copy of the Time Machine backup >>

That is not a good idea. Any defects in the original Backup set will corrupt the new backup set.

Instead, connect your new drive and tell Time machine to start using it (without removing the old backup drive). It will make a new, stand-alone backup starting today, and alternate -- every other backup goes to every other drive. Either drive can be removed at any time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.