Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I have to do in order to open my old imovieprojects in iMovie 10?

What do I have to do in order to open my old imovieprojects in iMovie 10? I thought I converted them all from 6 to 7 and then to 9 but 10 is not finding any of them when I "Update Projects and Events". It says it could not find any to update. So is it possible they are still in 6? I don't have a cd slot to download older versions of software.

I am beyond frustrated (as are millions of others I'm sure) that Apple did (or rather didn't do) the ability to open older files. Thank you in advance for

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 11:53 PM

iMovie 6 projects cannot be updated to iMovie 10. However, iMovie 7, 8, and 9 projects can be updated to iMovie 10. I'm not running Catalina or Big Sur so not entirely sure that 32 bit iMovie apps can be updated in iMovie 10 if you are running Catalina or Big Sur that do not support 32 bit apps. But it doesn't hurt to try.

The first thing to do is to make sure that your iMovie 7 and 9 Projects and Events folders are located where iMovie 10 can find them. They should be in the Movies folder on your internal drive, or at the root level (i.e, not in any folder) of an external drive.

If all O.K. there, then open iMovie 10 and do a File/Update Projects and Events. If you get a message saying that there are no projects and events to update, and you know it isn't true, then go to your Movies folder and open the iMovie Projects folder. If you see in there a marker that says "UpdatedToiMovie10", then delete that marker. Do the same with the iMovie Events folder. Then try again to do a File/Update Projects and Events from within iMovie 10. If still no luck you may need to copy out the media in the iMovie Events folder and import them into a new iMovie 10 project where you can start over with a re-edit. In other words, recreate the project.

-- Rich

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 11:53 PM in response to KHCAP

iMovie 6 projects cannot be updated to iMovie 10. However, iMovie 7, 8, and 9 projects can be updated to iMovie 10. I'm not running Catalina or Big Sur so not entirely sure that 32 bit iMovie apps can be updated in iMovie 10 if you are running Catalina or Big Sur that do not support 32 bit apps. But it doesn't hurt to try.

The first thing to do is to make sure that your iMovie 7 and 9 Projects and Events folders are located where iMovie 10 can find them. They should be in the Movies folder on your internal drive, or at the root level (i.e, not in any folder) of an external drive.

If all O.K. there, then open iMovie 10 and do a File/Update Projects and Events. If you get a message saying that there are no projects and events to update, and you know it isn't true, then go to your Movies folder and open the iMovie Projects folder. If you see in there a marker that says "UpdatedToiMovie10", then delete that marker. Do the same with the iMovie Events folder. Then try again to do a File/Update Projects and Events from within iMovie 10. If still no luck you may need to copy out the media in the iMovie Events folder and import them into a new iMovie 10 project where you can start over with a re-edit. In other words, recreate the project.

-- Rich

-- Rich

What do I have to do in order to open my old imovieprojects in iMovie 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.