Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

Can I remove all photos from my laptop but keep them on my phone

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 4:31 PM

Yes, but if you are using iCloud to sync your devices, you will need to be careful. Because while you are syncing with iCloud deleting one on your mac will delete it also on your phone. Instead you might choose to select "optimise mac storage" which will then only keep small previews on your mac, taking much less storage.

You also have to ask yourself how you will get a backup of your photos if you are only keeping them on your phone.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 4:31 PM in response to BlueHornet4

Yes, but if you are using iCloud to sync your devices, you will need to be careful. Because while you are syncing with iCloud deleting one on your mac will delete it also on your phone. Instead you might choose to select "optimise mac storage" which will then only keep small previews on your mac, taking much less storage.

You also have to ask yourself how you will get a backup of your photos if you are only keeping them on your phone.

Mar 17, 2021 3:28 AM in response to BlueHornet4

How did you safe the photos on your iPhone? If you have not been using iCloud Photos and synced the the photos manually to the iPhone, you would have a hard time to get the photos back to your Mac, because the manual syncing is a one way route.

Increasing the iCloud subscription is a good idea to save storage on your Mac by using "Optimise Mac Storage", but you will still need a backup of your photos. your regular Time Machine backup cannot include the optimised items from your Photos Library.

I would copy the library to an external volume to have a backup of all photos, before you enable "Optimise Storage" and photos get removed from your Mac.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.