Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted disk volume by mistake, cant re-install macOS

I have some issues with re-installing macOS after i managed to delete the internal Macintosh HD APFS volume by mistake.

I have recently bought a new Macbook, and was preparing my old Air for sale. I used Disk Utility in Recovery Mode, chose Macintosh HD, and hit Erase, just like the guide told me. Afterwards i was going to re-install Big Sur, but had problems with storage (needed about 7.4GB). I went back to Disk Utility, and noticed that the Macintosh HD had 85.16GB used for "Other Volumes". This is where i made the mistake, and pressed "-" in the toolbar to delete the volume.

After this my Mac obviously could not find a disk for installing macOS when went back to the installer. I tried adding a APFS volume by using "+" in the Disk Utility toolbar. This added a volume, which i can find in the installer, but I still need more space to install macOS, and "Other Volumes" still takes up 85.16GB.

When I try to start my Macbook now it only shows an Error, but i can still access Recovery Mode.

How do I free up enough space to re-install a macOS, and how can I get my Macbook up running again?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 12:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 1:08 AM

What I am going to suggest is a Long Process and will require time and a Good Stable Internet connection. Yes prepared and willing try this.

1 - Shutdown computer and remove any attached USB Devices.

Connect to charger

2 - Disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth for this operation

3 - Move Offending computer as close the Router as possible

4 - Restart computer AND immediately hold the tree keys - Command + Option + r - This is Internet Recovery Mode.

5 - It will ask for Computer Password - input AND watch for Wifi iCon to appear - Input the Wifi Password

6 - If successful - it will start to load an Apple Globe - depending on speed of Internet and Apple Servers it will take some time to fully Load.

7 - Once fully loaded - Top Menu Bar - look for Disk Utilities >> View >> View All connected Devices

8 - On Left Side look for Upper Most Device ( Usually called Apple SSD ) - choose this Device

9 - On Right Side Choose Erase - Give it a name - below that choose APFS and below that choose GUID Partition Map

10 - Now choose Erase - this will re-format the Entire Drive and there will be Zero data

11 - Once done, back out of Disk Utilities and it will present option - Choose Install MacOS

12 -Just allow it to download the latest version of macOS this computer is qualifies for.

13 - Follow any prompts and it may reboot several times until it is 100% finished

14 - If all goes well, it will eventually Present the Setup Assist - as if it was a New Computer.

15 - If giving the machine may , selling or trading it it in - Do Not Use the Setup Assist - Just Power Down the computer via the Power Button / Touch ID Button ( both are the same )

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2021 1:08 AM in response to KristianHG

What I am going to suggest is a Long Process and will require time and a Good Stable Internet connection. Yes prepared and willing try this.

1 - Shutdown computer and remove any attached USB Devices.

Connect to charger

2 - Disconnect ALL Other devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth for this operation

3 - Move Offending computer as close the Router as possible

4 - Restart computer AND immediately hold the tree keys - Command + Option + r - This is Internet Recovery Mode.

5 - It will ask for Computer Password - input AND watch for Wifi iCon to appear - Input the Wifi Password

6 - If successful - it will start to load an Apple Globe - depending on speed of Internet and Apple Servers it will take some time to fully Load.

7 - Once fully loaded - Top Menu Bar - look for Disk Utilities >> View >> View All connected Devices

8 - On Left Side look for Upper Most Device ( Usually called Apple SSD ) - choose this Device

9 - On Right Side Choose Erase - Give it a name - below that choose APFS and below that choose GUID Partition Map

10 - Now choose Erase - this will re-format the Entire Drive and there will be Zero data

11 - Once done, back out of Disk Utilities and it will present option - Choose Install MacOS

12 -Just allow it to download the latest version of macOS this computer is qualifies for.

13 - Follow any prompts and it may reboot several times until it is 100% finished

14 - If all goes well, it will eventually Present the Setup Assist - as if it was a New Computer.

15 - If giving the machine may , selling or trading it it in - Do Not Use the Setup Assist - Just Power Down the computer via the Power Button / Touch ID Button ( both are the same )

Deleted disk volume by mistake, cant re-install macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.