Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You Tube Error message on Apple TV Gen 4

I get a 'something went wrong, send report ' message when I try to play any YouTube video. I am using Apple TV Gen 4. Tried reinstalling the YouTube app, updated Apple TV software, restarted Apple TV and my router, etc. Still have the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:35 AM

14 replies

Mar 24, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Driftula

You Tube Error message on Apple TV Gen 4 / Apple TV HD doesn’t play YouTube / Apple TV 4k can't play videos on youtube

There are other threads for the same problem

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252580817

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252577746

Also finding things like this on the WEB

"YouTube Investigating Issue With 'Something Went Wrong' Error in Apple TV App"

(But NO solutions ... yet)

Mar 19, 2021 10:18 AM in response to Driftula

Hmm. Here's exactly what I did in detail

• sign into You Tube on my phone
  • delete You Tube app from my Apple TV, then reinstall from the App Store
  • Select sign into You Tube app on Apple TV using my phone number (not email)
  • I then got a message on my phone requesting permission to link the account, which I granted yes
  • Presto- I was then signed in to You Tube on Apple TV, and all videos play normally

Good luck

Mar 18, 2021 10:46 PM in response to anthonyjann

You are not alone.

I have this problem too. As of March 18th my two brand new AppleTV 4th Gens are getting the same ‘something went wrong’ message. One is a 4K the other is regular hd.

I have 4 Apple TV’s in total. The new one at my office (completely separate location) has the same problem as the new one at my home. I have completely ruled out internet issues, I also have 1000mb internet speed at both my hone and office, and have signed in and out of the app, force-closed and restarted the app, deleted and reinstalled the app, restarted the Apple TV’s. Nothing works.

Oddly my 2 year old 4K 4th gen Apple TV in my bedroom works for the moment, maybe it didn’t download a broken update yet?

Glad to finally know I am not the only one with this issue.

Mar 19, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Driftula

So just to add more context,

I also reinstalled the youtube app, which works without signing in.

However when I tried to sign in with the 'use your phone' method it just took forever. I made sure the phone is on the same network as my appleTV, and even disconnected my hard line to the appleTV to make double sure its on the same network.

The sign in feature never did find my phone, so I tried to sign in regular with the remote, and its broken again.

Just fyi

Mar 21, 2021 2:53 AM in response to AllanI

Brilliant! This worked for me after all other options failed.

Signing in on my TV just gave me the “something wrong” problem again,

and though I carefully checked that my Apple TV, IPhone an iPad were on

the same network (remembering to switch my Apple TV from Ethernet to

WiFi) neither my iPhone nor my IPad were found.

I re-downloaded the app, but someone should try just signing out an signing in

again.

Mar 25, 2021 2:17 AM in response to Pepperlinski

@Pepperlinski: The first thread is marked "Solved", but I did not see a solution there.

But the solution I posted above works and continues to work; the problem did not come back. For me the crucial point was NOT signing in again, but reactivating again from the YouTube internet page as AllanI suggested. You need to click on "Try other method" or something like that. Apparently other people have other experiences.

YouTube needs to work out why this happened in the first place, in order to make sure it does not happen again.

You Tube Error message on Apple TV Gen 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.