Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatible External Hard Drive for both a 2014 and 2020 Mac Book Air

Hello. I plan to upgrade my Mac Book Air 13 early 2015 model with a new Mac Book Air. I first would like to purchase a compatible external hard drive to transfer all the content on my 2014 model to the new one. Can you recommend an external hard drive?

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 8:01 AM

Most External Drive will work on macOS. Just need to verify what type of USB Connections the External Drive requires. The New MBA M1 - has USB-C female connector while the MBA 2015 tank has USB-A female connectors. So, will need to check of the USB External Drive has cables for Both Types of connections.

The External Drive usually are formatted for Windows. To get full usage of the device - strongly suggest reformat the drive to HFS ( Journaled with the GUID Partition Map if using only for macOS. The drive may also contain some Manufactures Software onboard. Do Not install their software as it is not needed to work on macOS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 8:01 AM in response to denisefromgolden

Most External Drive will work on macOS. Just need to verify what type of USB Connections the External Drive requires. The New MBA M1 - has USB-C female connector while the MBA 2015 tank has USB-A female connectors. So, will need to check of the USB External Drive has cables for Both Types of connections.

The External Drive usually are formatted for Windows. To get full usage of the device - strongly suggest reformat the drive to HFS ( Journaled with the GUID Partition Map if using only for macOS. The drive may also contain some Manufactures Software onboard. Do Not install their software as it is not needed to work on macOS.

Compatible External Hard Drive for both a 2014 and 2020 Mac Book Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.