Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage and Facetime won't activate new phone number

I recently moved and got a new sim card for my new location. Imessage and Facetime will not activate the new number. Keeps saying activation unsuccessful.

I have an iphone X.

My imessage works but is connected to my email address. I'm trying to get it to pop up as my new phone number. I have put in the new number and when I try to activate it, it says "verifying" but then activation unsuccessful.

I have tried all the tricks...turning imessage and facetime off, exiting out of the settings app, restarting my phone, reseting the network settings, deactivating my old phone number, setting the date and time to automatic, entering my new phone number as a trusted number, turning cellular roaming on, making sure my phone has the most recent software update, and changing my region to my new location.

Nothing is working.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 7:55 AM

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency who issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order/sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on (Watch the GIF hereunder)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 7:55 AM in response to Abbiegd26

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency who issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order/sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on (Watch the GIF hereunder)

imessage and Facetime won't activate new phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.