You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X snow leopard will not install on early 2011 MacBook Pro running High Sierra

I have a early 2011 MacBook Pro running high sierra and I cannot get it to install snow leopard it just comes up with a screen saying you cannot use this version of application install macOS ex with this version of macOS you have install Mac OS X 23.1.1.when I go to option on the soles it always feels saying that there was an error installing this can anyone help me with the situation? And also I tried booting from it I just got the wired beeps.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 8:30 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 19, 2021 9:36 AM in response to Matthew543

Various possible issues:

1) You have misidentified your Mac model.

2) Your Mac is incorrectly formatted, particularly if you have replaced the drive with a SSD. High Sierra can use APFS. Unlike later versions it didn't insist upon using it but if you installed it to a SSD it may have reformatted your drive to a format Snow Leopard does not recognize.

3) Make sure your computer is actually booted to the installer disc. This isn't like modern installers which can use a Recovery partition to install and you can just run an installer application directly while booted to the drive.

4) You have the wrong version of installer disc. You may need the original disc, not a retail version. Retail versions often came with an earlier version than that on a disc supplied with a computer, and Macs cannot boot to anything lower than OS with which they were supplied originally.

Mar 19, 2021 10:55 AM in response to Matthew543

For example, https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.3-13-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

says it originally came with 10.6.6 (your photo shows 10.6.3) You could check for your exact model on that list but I suspect all early 2011 will say the same. If you want to use those retail installer discs you'll need to find a computer than can boot to them, install to a separate drive, then clone to the Mac, or boot your Mac to Target Disk Mode and install to a partition that way (unless you're wanting to wipe the entire drive).

Mac OS X snow leopard will not install on early 2011 MacBook Pro running High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.