Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto library

how to manage multiple iphoto libraries?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 11:34 AM

Are you really asking about iPhoto and not Photos for Mac?

• In iPhoto you can switch between libraries by by quitting iPhoto and then double-clicking the iPhoto Library you want to open.
  • The same will work in Photos for Mac. Quit the Photos.app, then double click the Library to open it in Photos. Or hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and select the library from the Library Chooser dialog: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

To create additional libraries in either of the two applications, hold down the options key ⌥ while launching the application and select to create a new library.

Photos Libraries need to be on a volume with the correct file system format and with a wired connection, not a on a network share or in a synced folder like DropBox. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 11:34 AM in response to karenfrommalibu

Are you really asking about iPhoto and not Photos for Mac?

• In iPhoto you can switch between libraries by by quitting iPhoto and then double-clicking the iPhoto Library you want to open.
  • The same will work in Photos for Mac. Quit the Photos.app, then double click the Library to open it in Photos. Or hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and select the library from the Library Chooser dialog: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

To create additional libraries in either of the two applications, hold down the options key ⌥ while launching the application and select to create a new library.

Photos Libraries need to be on a volume with the correct file system format and with a wired connection, not a on a network share or in a synced folder like DropBox. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 19, 2021 12:00 PM in response to Keith Barkley

hi, keith, thanks for the reply. i simply want to open and organize multiple "Photos Library (original).photoslibrary" files currently on an external hard drive. since posting this i have confirmed that i can open these .photoslibrary files in Adobe Lightroom and work with them there. either way, looks as if i am on the way to a solution. thanks again!

iphoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.