Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing my wife's iphone photos onto shared computer

Hi,

I would like to be able to sync my wife's iphone photos onto our shared computer desktop. We have a 1 terabyte hard drive and so have all the photos on there. We also both use family Icloud and have a subscription for 2 TB. I would like a more elegant solution than for her to create a separate log on to the desktop and then copy photos over to a shared folder or manually syncing her device with iPhotos. These are huge folders and a involve a tedious manual process, has apple developed a way for two users, with separate icloud accounts to essentially "share" a single photolibrary seamlessessly. Thanks!

Robert

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 11:19 AM

It. is easier to share a library that is not your iCloud Photos Library or your system photos Library.

The system photos Library is special, because it is always in use while you are logged into you user account, even if you are not working with Photos. If you want to share the iCloud Photos Library on your shared computer, you cannot use fast user switching and stay both logged in. You have to log off, before the other user can log in and use the Shared Photos Library. Otherwise it should work as Tony described. It is essential to set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag for your external volume with the library, or you would have continually to repair the permissions on the volume.

Photos is a single user program, and the library is meant to be private for each user. We are supposed to share selected, handpicked photos that might be interesting to others, but not a one joint library.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2021 11:19 AM in response to rpk1430

It. is easier to share a library that is not your iCloud Photos Library or your system photos Library.

The system photos Library is special, because it is always in use while you are logged into you user account, even if you are not working with Photos. If you want to share the iCloud Photos Library on your shared computer, you cannot use fast user switching and stay both logged in. You have to log off, before the other user can log in and use the Shared Photos Library. Otherwise it should work as Tony described. It is essential to set the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag for your external volume with the library, or you would have continually to repair the permissions on the volume.

Photos is a single user program, and the library is meant to be private for each user. We are supposed to share selected, handpicked photos that might be interesting to others, but not a one joint library.

Mar 19, 2021 10:59 AM in response to rpk1430

Hi - No, they haven't.

Pretty much the only way to do this that I know of, is to use two accounts on the mac (each with one of your apple ID's used) and to put the library onto an external drive (correctly formatted and directly connected) then log onto the relevant account to sync your phones pictures into the external library.

If you were to go this way you'd need to make sure the external drive were properly formatted (APFS or MacOS extended (journaled), directly connected (not any sort of network or synced drive) etc as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Syncing my wife's iphone photos onto shared computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.