Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie only exports half my movie

I have made a 4.45 min video (picture, videos and music) and when I try to export it only downloads 1.35m of it. I have tried to send to email, YouTube, file, downloads. I have tried using Vimeo, we transfer,Dropbox and every time if just sends a short version. The file is 5.2GB. What can I do?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 9:19 AM

It might be that there is some corruption in the project at the 1:35 minute mark that is causing the export to stop there.

Expand out your timeline with the slider located above and to the right of the timeline. Then scroll around in the 1:35 minute area. Look for black frames, white flashes, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any you find and re-export. You might first want to make a duplicate of your project in order to preserve your original work.

If you cannot find any corruption in the project, the next thing that I would try is to delete preferences, as that often solves export issues. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if you get a full export. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If the above doesn't work, we want to rule out an issue that is confined to just this one project. Create a new project. Then go back to your old project and do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in it. Then Edit/Paste the media into the newly created project. Your edits will carry over. See if you get a full export from the newly created project.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 9:19 AM in response to burgin14

It might be that there is some corruption in the project at the 1:35 minute mark that is causing the export to stop there.

Expand out your timeline with the slider located above and to the right of the timeline. Then scroll around in the 1:35 minute area. Look for black frames, white flashes, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any you find and re-export. You might first want to make a duplicate of your project in order to preserve your original work.

If you cannot find any corruption in the project, the next thing that I would try is to delete preferences, as that often solves export issues. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if you get a full export. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If the above doesn't work, we want to rule out an issue that is confined to just this one project. Create a new project. Then go back to your old project and do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in it. Then Edit/Paste the media into the newly created project. Your edits will carry over. See if you get a full export from the newly created project.

-- Rich

iMovie only exports half my movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.