Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Open/Edit Notes/Bubbles with Double-Click in Preview

I've encountered some random behaviour on some comments I've left on a PDF that I wanted to return to/edit.

Some comments I can open and edit with double click, some with a single click, some not at all. I don't see any system to (or point in) this tbh and am trying to find out how I can reliably open and edit all comments in this PDF? The comments I'm having difficulties with are having a word bubble symbol. I can only hover above them to even read them.

It seems to me that this might be some compatibility issue between adobe acrobat and mac preview. If so, that should really be addressed as it's affecting everyday workflow big time!

Thanks!

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 5:27 AM

I am using Preview on macOS 11.2.3. I just inserted a note annotation into a PDF and opened/closed that note annotation with a single click. That is why I posted my response as I did. Tested.

However, in Mojave 10.14.6 (18G8022), what you describe is present in Preview. It is a guessing game whether a single, or double-click will open an existing Note annotation. That is a Preview implementation issue with no fix coming from Apple for older operating systems.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 5:27 AM in response to PaulWohlf

I am using Preview on macOS 11.2.3. I just inserted a note annotation into a PDF and opened/closed that note annotation with a single click. That is why I posted my response as I did. Tested.

However, in Mojave 10.14.6 (18G8022), what you describe is present in Preview. It is a guessing game whether a single, or double-click will open an existing Note annotation. That is a Preview implementation issue with no fix coming from Apple for older operating systems.

Mar 20, 2021 5:14 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply! My problem is that it doesn‘t, which is why I‘m posting this. My experience was that it sometimes opened on a single click, sometimes it didn‘t. It seemed that I had to click into a particular part of the symbol or especially long. I ended up doing all sorts of click acrobatics to open notes sometimes it did, sometimes it didn‘t. But it definitely did not always open on one click as it is supposed to. So I guess there‘s gotta be something funny happening between pdf comments written in acrobat and preview.

Mar 20, 2021 5:42 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yes, that seems to be the case for me. Last time I checked my OS was pretty up to date but an update would be the obvious thing to check for. Note, that when I insert annotations myself in preview, it‘s not an issue as well. It‘s only about annotations made with acrobat on a Windows 10 machine, that‘s why I thought of some compatibility issue of that. I‘ll report back after the update (if needed).

Cannot Open/Edit Notes/Bubbles with Double-Click in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.