Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing Notes and Annotations in Preview

My co-worker made comments (texts in the yellow boxes) on PDF docs using Preview, but my computer has not been able to see the texts. I only see empty yellow boxes without any text in it. I've used other PDF readers and they wouldn't show the comments either.

Can anyone help with this issue in Preview?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 9:59 AM

How are these pdf's created? Does this happen with particular pdf file or all pdf files?

Are both computer systems on same macOS?

How are these pdf transferred? (some times data gets corrupted/tampered over transmission)

Please check if you have same issue in a different user / guest user.

Test with another user account

Also check if you have same issue in safe mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 9:59 AM in response to xiao96

How are these pdf's created? Does this happen with particular pdf file or all pdf files?

Are both computer systems on same macOS?

How are these pdf transferred? (some times data gets corrupted/tampered over transmission)

Please check if you have same issue in a different user / guest user.

Test with another user account

Also check if you have same issue in safe mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Disappearing Notes and Annotations in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.