Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update OS X software on MacBook Air

I deleted a former user on a MacBook Air 11" Early 2014 and after problems with the startup disc was finally able to install OS X 10.9.5 using internet startup.

The MacBook is currently running fine on 10.9.5 (Mavericks), but Software Update offers no access to a newer OS X. Obviously I cannot use Photos, which links seamlessly to my iPhone on a newer and larger MacBook.

I want to travel (on a motorcycle) with the MB 11" since it is much more compact.

Can anyone tell me up to what OS the Early 2014 MacBook Air 11" can efficiently work and how I can get access to a software update to install that OS?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 6:56 AM

The Leap from Mavericks to Big Sur is such a Major Leap. A great deal has changed from Mavericks. Suggest moving up to High Sierra first. They should better position. visa vie Boot ROM updates and conversion of Internal Drive from HFS+ to the APFS ( Apple File System ). To perform this Follow this Link and open all following links use Safari ( Others may not work.) Safari will open a Redirect and open the Apple Store where you download the High Sierra Full Installer. Suggestion - one it downloads do not allow the Installer to Launch - if it does just quit it. Go Applications folds and look for a New Application called Install High Sierra - make a copy to good external drive for future usage - like making Bootable Installer. No Perform a Time Machine Backup. Restart in Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup and it will load slowly - normal. Once in Launch the Installer and follow all prompts. It way restart several times until it presents Setup Assist to High Sierra.

Once Successfully upGrading to High Sierra and updating Application / Drivers / extensions - Test the new OS for a while. Then when ready to move to Big Sur read Over Here Before attempting that move for better results.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 6:56 AM in response to Frank O

The Leap from Mavericks to Big Sur is such a Major Leap. A great deal has changed from Mavericks. Suggest moving up to High Sierra first. They should better position. visa vie Boot ROM updates and conversion of Internal Drive from HFS+ to the APFS ( Apple File System ). To perform this Follow this Link and open all following links use Safari ( Others may not work.) Safari will open a Redirect and open the Apple Store where you download the High Sierra Full Installer. Suggestion - one it downloads do not allow the Installer to Launch - if it does just quit it. Go Applications folds and look for a New Application called Install High Sierra - make a copy to good external drive for future usage - like making Bootable Installer. No Perform a Time Machine Backup. Restart in Safe Mode - Shift - key immediately at startup and it will load slowly - normal. Once in Launch the Installer and follow all prompts. It way restart several times until it presents Setup Assist to High Sierra.

Once Successfully upGrading to High Sierra and updating Application / Drivers / extensions - Test the new OS for a while. Then when ready to move to Big Sur read Over Here Before attempting that move for better results.

Mar 20, 2021 7:34 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks P Phillips for this detailed answer.

I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Irritatingly, the family member who had the MacBook before but was not using the machine had a newer system on it, but in my haste to delete her as a the administration-level user, I sent the MacBook back in time. Doh!

Cheers.

Mar 20, 2021 9:47 AM in response to PRP_53

Oh dear—I did not follow your advice and in my haste clicked 'encrypt' when High Sierra started up and the rest you can imagine.

Right now I have a "no entry' sign on start up so it looks like I have to go back to re-installing Mavericks in internet recovery mode, if encryption will let me—there was no data to encrypt, so no backup required and nothing lost and in that regard, but it was going to take a day to encrypt the emptiness.

I shall probably abandon and leave the MacBook at home as out of time. It's late and I leave early in the morning. Too bad.

Your answer is clearly correct, however, so many thanks.

Cannot update OS X software on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.