Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updrading a 2013 MacBook pro retina from Yosemite to a newer OS X version fails

I both downloaded and tried to install El Capitan and Sierra and followed the installation instructions via How to download macOS - Apple Support

In both cases I did not get any error messages while downloading and installing. But after a very and probably too fast fast installation, a successful installation message appeared. But the macbook, even after a reboot was still running Yosemite.

The MacBook is a MacBook Pro 2013 with a retina screen and has 4GB RAM. Why isn't it upgrading and what can or should I do to upgrade it? I hope someone can give me a helpful tip. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 5:26 AM

jwkijne wrote:

In both cases I did not get any error messages while downloading and installing. But after a very and probably too fast fast installation, a successful installation message appeared. But the macbook, even after a reboot was still running Yosemite.

If you downloaded the full installer— see if it is sitting in your Applications folder:

"Install macOS El Capitan.app"

Try a Safeboot and launch the installer from there like any other application.

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2022 5:26 AM in response to jwkijne

jwkijne wrote:

If you downloaded the full installer— see if it is sitting in your Applications folder:

"Install macOS El Capitan.app"

Try a Safeboot and launch the installer from there like any other application.

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Updrading a 2013 MacBook pro retina from Yosemite to a newer OS X version fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.