Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting intermittent internet outage on home network

Hello everybody

First of all my apologies for the long post. The last several weeks we've internet troubles at home. We're in the Netherlands and use Ziggo as ISP and the ConnectBox modem they provide. Wifi is disconnected and an AirPort Extreme is connected with an ethernet cable. Everything has been working for a long time and no changes have been made to the setup, so it's all weird.

What happens according to the Airport Utility is that the internet goes out (becomes orange) occasionally and randomly for a while and then it comes back on and remains functional for a long while. I am now trying to troubleshoot this.

The first time I called Ziggo's helpdesk they saw that "something is wrong" because they couldn't log in to the modem remotely. A new modem was sent.

Today the same troubles started again and when I called them they saw that something was "wrong" specifically on ethernet port 1 – the AEBS – and port 4 – the Apple TV 3. Apparently there's a discrepancy in the signal going in to, and coming out from, each port, being high on the in and low on the out (as it was explained to me).

They couldn't see what was causing this, but speculated that one or both devices was/were somehow "preventing" the modem from accessing the internet (this sounded strange to me).

They said I should try two things. First something relating to IPv6 and secondly port forwarding.

Re IPv6, the AEBS has always had "Block incoming IPv6 connections" checked. I understand that I can ask Ziggo to turn off IPv6 entirely for our account - should I do that? If not, should that checkbox be checked? I've run one of those online IPv6 tests and everything reports green except "Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6 - bad".

About port forwarding, I know how to do that in the modem's settings, but how do I set that up (if it is really needed) for the AEBS? I mean, as the main output of wifi to all our devices should this device be linked to one or a few ports only?

About the ATV 3 I have (following a Google search) forwarded 3689 (TCP), 5353 (UDP) and 123 (TCP+UDP). I notice no difference in performance. I can AirPlay through the ATV, the network test passes without problems (as it did before the forwarding) and streaming works. The only issue I've noticed with it in recent times is that it can sometimes suddenly do a quick reboot when it's streaming content.

I realise internet troubles are everywhere but I do hope some of you might be able to chime in on the above.

Thank you in advance

Philip

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 8:07 AM

I've read a few conflicting things about IPv6 for home users. Some say it doesn't matter if it's active for one's account with an ISP, others seem to suggest that it's unnecessary and could even cause troubles. What's your view?

Different providers use different methods to provide IPv6 service, so it is not possible to provide an answer that would be correct for all situations. It is the router that must configured to use the correct IPv6 settings and that will vary according to the methods that the provider is using.

Since the AirPort Extreme is configured in Bridge Mode, the correct setting for IPv6 on the AirPort Extreme is Link Local Only, so things are very simple for you.

If you have a Mac handy, you can check to see if the Mac is getting both IPv4 and IPv6 information from your modem/router.

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel

Click the Advanced button at the lower right of the next window

Click the TCP/IP button at the top of the next window

If your Mac is receiving full IPv6 information, the window will look something like the example below. There will be very long IPv6 addresses for the Mac.

Oh, one last question - the ethernet cable I use between the modem/router and the AEBS is an older CAT 5. Will that make any difference?

CAT 5 is an older design and if the cable is longer than usual, it can reduce speeds. The fact that you have a CAT 5 cable tells me that you have had it for a long time.

It would be a good idea to replace the cable. CAT5e or CAT 6 would be fine.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 8:07 AM in response to pullman

I've read a few conflicting things about IPv6 for home users. Some say it doesn't matter if it's active for one's account with an ISP, others seem to suggest that it's unnecessary and could even cause troubles. What's your view?

Different providers use different methods to provide IPv6 service, so it is not possible to provide an answer that would be correct for all situations. It is the router that must configured to use the correct IPv6 settings and that will vary according to the methods that the provider is using.

Since the AirPort Extreme is configured in Bridge Mode, the correct setting for IPv6 on the AirPort Extreme is Link Local Only, so things are very simple for you.

If you have a Mac handy, you can check to see if the Mac is getting both IPv4 and IPv6 information from your modem/router.

Open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left panel

Click the Advanced button at the lower right of the next window

Click the TCP/IP button at the top of the next window

If your Mac is receiving full IPv6 information, the window will look something like the example below. There will be very long IPv6 addresses for the Mac.

Oh, one last question - the ethernet cable I use between the modem/router and the AEBS is an older CAT 5. Will that make any difference?

CAT 5 is an older design and if the cable is longer than usual, it can reduce speeds. The fact that you have a CAT 5 cable tells me that you have had it for a long time.

It would be a good idea to replace the cable. CAT5e or CAT 6 would be fine.

Mar 20, 2021 7:03 AM in response to pullman

Hi Philip,

Your "modem" is more than a modem, it is a modem/router, also called a gateway. This is a device that combines a modem and a router in one physical package. You might have turned off the WiFi on this device, but it is still acting as a router for your network.

Since you already have a router (the modem/router) and you do not want to have two routers both trying to control a network.....which will cause conflicts......the AirPort Extreme should be set up in what is known as Bridge Mode, which Apple calls "Off (Bridge Mode)" in their settings.

The AirPort Extreme can still provide WiFi service when it is configured in Bridge Mode, but it does not control your Internet connection or provide IP addresses to connected clients on the network. That is the job of your modem/router.

So the first thing to check on the AirPort Extreme is to make sure that it is set up to work correctly with the modem/router. You can check this as follows:

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click directly on the picture of the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Check to make sure that the setting for Router Mode is set to Off (Bridge Mode)

Regarding IPv6, since your modem/router is handling IPv6, you would want to configure the AirPort Extreme using a setting of Link Local Only for IPv6

To do that, use AirPort Utility again as above and this time click on the Internet tab at the top of the AirPort Utility window.

Click on Internet Options

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click Save if you have made any changes

Click Update at the lower right of the window to save the new setting

It is up to your modem/router to provide IPv6 settings. If you run an IPv6 test, it may or may not show that everything is working correctly.

If you are still having problems, my recommendation would be to power off the AirPort Extreme and enable the WiFi on the modem/router and run the network that way for a few days. If you still have Internet connection issues, the fault is with the modem/router or your Internet connection from your provider. You will know this because the AirPort Extreme is not even powered on.

If the modem/router checks out OK during your "test", I would try replacing the Ethernet cable from the modem/router to the AirPort Extreme.

Because the AirPort Extreme is configured in Off Bridge Mode......you can connect the Ethernet cable to any of the ports on the AirPort Extreme and it will still function correctly. Try moving the Ethernet cable to another port in case the port that you are using now might have an intermittent problem.

There are a few other things to try on the AirPort Extreme if you are still having problems. Post back for more information on these.

Mar 20, 2021 7:39 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

Thank you very much for all this, I'm very grateful. I forgot to say that the AEBS is in Bridge mode. It wasn't, however, in Local Link Only for IPv6. I have now changed that setting.

I will leave the network with the new setting in place for a few days. If that doesn't work then I'll try your idea to use the modem/router for wifi and see if it makes things better or worse.

Thank you again

Philip

Mar 20, 2021 9:09 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you very much for explaining this Bob. It seems the computer is receiving IPv6 addresses. To be on the safe side I'll replace that old cable which I have indeed had for a long time.

I'll mark the thread as closed and if the troubles raise their ugly head again make a new thread.

Once again thank you very much for having taken the time to help in such detail.

Best

Philip

Mar 20, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I do actually. Here's what it says:

Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6

bad (2.877s)

With the explanation:

"This is a test of your ISP's resolver (instead of a test of your host). If this test passes, your DNS server (often run by your ISP) is capable of reaching IPV6-only DNS authoritative servers on the Internet. This is not critical (at this time) for you to reach sites via IPv6."

Is this strange in light of the fact that my computers receive IPv6 addresses?

Mar 20, 2021 9:38 AM in response to pullman

If you are receiving IPv6 addresses for devices on your network, then IPv6 is working.

It sounds like your ISP is using a "dual stack" method for IPv6. Understanding Dual Stacking of IPv4 and IPv6 Unicast ...www.juniper.net › ... › Junos OS › IS-IS User Guide

Check with your ISP to ask them if they are using the "dual stack method". Ask them about the "bad" reading that you are receiving at this time.

Mar 20, 2021 10:09 AM in response to pullman

The "bad" reading does not appear to be all that bad, since you are are receiving IPv6 addresses. This might indicate that you would not be able to receive an IPv6 address from a site that was only using only IPv6 and not IPv4.

At some time in the future, everything will be IPv6, but that is likely a number of years away at this point.

Troubleshooting intermittent internet outage on home network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.