Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M2 Max MBP16 internet connection

First, this is on Ventura, not Big Sur, and yes, everything is updated. I recently purchased the M2 Max MacBook Pro with 96 GB of memory. I also recently purchased Comcast Xfinity internet and opted for their 1200mbps/1.2gbps plan, with their xFi Complete 6E modem/router.

When I’m in the same room next to the router, every speed test is showing speeds exceeding 1.3gbps on the MBP. But unfortunately when I’m in the next room, only roughly 15 feet away, I’m unable to connect AT ALL. So much that the speed test states that it can’t even do a test because I’m not connected.

the unusual thing is, both my iPhone 11 and Hermès Series 8 can connect in the same exact location in the next room. A speed test and comparison in the two rooms on the iPhone is a difference of an average of 400mbps versus 750mbps, which I can live with. I always thought the WiFi cards were superior in a MacBook Pro when compared to an iPhone, especially a MacBook Pro that supports 6E/ax. The iPhone 11 certainly does not, yet is able to connect with relatively good speeds, although only roughly half.

I understand that the modem/router they supply is inferior compared to a new Arris Surfboard modem and a new Asus router (only reason I opted for the rental is because of the unlimited data without throttle). But this much of a difference, with a 6E router? What are the chances that I got a faulty wifi card in my M2 Max MBP? I have a feeling I’m going to get a lot of finger pointing. Apple is going to say it’s Comcast Xfinity’s equipment, and they of course will say it’s the MBP16. Is there any way I can test the WiFi card in the mac, or run a diagnostic on it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 5:02 AM

The support Doc from Apple may provide additional Information on Wifi Access

Link below

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

From personal experience 5gHz Wifi work Best when the Router and Computer are in Directly view of one another.

Any Obstruction between the two devices and 5 gHz signals do not penetrate walls, furniture like Wall Units and Doors very well.

That is the nature of 5 gHz signals versus the older 2.4 gHz Signals that do better

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 5:02 AM in response to jayceollie

The support Doc from Apple may provide additional Information on Wifi Access

Link below

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

From personal experience 5gHz Wifi work Best when the Router and Computer are in Directly view of one another.

Any Obstruction between the two devices and 5 gHz signals do not penetrate walls, furniture like Wall Units and Doors very well.

That is the nature of 5 gHz signals versus the older 2.4 gHz Signals that do better

Feb 7, 2023 7:16 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks again. One thing though. Hasn't 5ghz been around for quite a while? This isn't my first MacBook Pro. Had a 2019 Intel model. Now, albeit, twas a different modem and router (wasn't 6E), I never had a problem connecting in the next room, when not in direct line of sight. Not once. 15 feet away. But, I am appreciative, and will go through the materials you've provided. Thank you.

Feb 7, 2023 8:44 AM in response to PRP_53

I had Comcast Xfinity at that time, on their 300Mbps plan. I'm now on the 1200Mbps plan. The main difference is the modem/router. i was using my own Arris Surfboard modem and Asus Triband router. It's of course always better to use your own performance wise, but their xFi Complete 2 in 1 modem/router (WiFi 6E) with the 1200Mbps/1.2Gbps plan has unlimited data and is never throttled. Regardless of the plan and modem/router, the iPhone 11, Hermès Series 8 Apple Watch, and Nintendo Switch are all getting connections in the next room, whereas only the M2 Max Macbook Pro is not. To be fair, at only two thirds of the speed, but still a decent connection. MacBook Pro can't even connect to do a speed test.

M2 Max MBP16 internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.