Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there any how too's on more advanced wifi problems?

I can't seem to find anything offering up help on more advanced wifi issues. This isn't move the router closer, reboot the router, check the cables, get a faster ISP type stuff. I have 1GB fiber and I can't seem to get certain Apple products to work. They are all connected to the same Wifi but like my iPad and new MacBook Pro work fine, anywhere in the house even right next to the products that are having trouble. My iPhone, iMac, Apple TV and Mini HomePods all connect and show good signal, but then drop off, and at times REALLY drop off, like 900-980mbps down to like 20-30mbps. My google chrome cast works fine as do my Amazon Echos, so it doesn't make any sense why it would be only certain Apple products. My place isn't big enough for it to be a distance or interference problem, but I don't know what else would randomly effect only half the Apple products I have in my place.

I have an AT&T BGW320-505 router with 1GB fiber.

Any ideas? any how to's anyone can point me to for troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 10:54 AM

Let's start with something cheaper than "start over." Radio signal interference has been big factor in my wifi/bluetooth drop-out issues and, in my case, can absolutely be traced to location.

At home I seldom use my Macbook Pro or iPads at my workstation, preferring instead to doing important work on the iMac. I have few dropouts. The few I've experienced usually happen if I've left my iPhone SE2 almost under the iMac.

However, I volunteer as a host/docent for a local museum once a week. For that I take the Macbook Pro, my iPhone, and one of the iPads. That is when I see a lot of drops.

The volunteer desk is also "ground zero" for all the museum's tech. So, in addition to my Apple gear, there is a Windows desktop computer, the router/modem for our wifi, a wireless printer that also has bluetooth, the internet connection for the credit card machine, and the base station for the center's wireless phone handsets. In the room next door is a microwave oven and the conference phone system and a gob of power cables for phone, internet, computers and networking gear.

At home I seldom get dropouts; at the museum I get several a morning. Apple have addressed that issue in this support article:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I don't know if this will help but there are some things on the list that I'd not thought could been an issue before.

At least review that article and the physical arrangement of you workstation before "starting over."

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 10:54 AM in response to tcm1968

Let's start with something cheaper than "start over." Radio signal interference has been big factor in my wifi/bluetooth drop-out issues and, in my case, can absolutely be traced to location.

At home I seldom use my Macbook Pro or iPads at my workstation, preferring instead to doing important work on the iMac. I have few dropouts. The few I've experienced usually happen if I've left my iPhone SE2 almost under the iMac.

However, I volunteer as a host/docent for a local museum once a week. For that I take the Macbook Pro, my iPhone, and one of the iPads. That is when I see a lot of drops.

The volunteer desk is also "ground zero" for all the museum's tech. So, in addition to my Apple gear, there is a Windows desktop computer, the router/modem for our wifi, a wireless printer that also has bluetooth, the internet connection for the credit card machine, and the base station for the center's wireless phone handsets. In the room next door is a microwave oven and the conference phone system and a gob of power cables for phone, internet, computers and networking gear.

At home I seldom get dropouts; at the museum I get several a morning. Apple have addressed that issue in this support article:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I don't know if this will help but there are some things on the list that I'd not thought could been an issue before.

At least review that article and the physical arrangement of you workstation before "starting over."

Aug 15, 2022 1:30 PM in response to tcm1968

Do you have the same issues with this laptop at other locations than your home? If so, then it may point to a hardware or software issue with your laptop.

If the issue only occurs at home, the issue is likely some sort of interference or compatibility issue although a hardware or software issue is still a possibility. Keep in mind your other devices may be connecting using a different WiFi protocol or antenna on the router (some routers may have multiple WiFi antennas). Just because all those other devices are not having a problem does not mean you should avoid looking at your router (especially a power cycle) and interference issues. The laptop may just be more sensitive to a weak or noisy WiFi signal.

You can check the WiFi signal strength (RSSI) and noise levels plus the type of connection by Option-clicking the WiFi icon on the menubar. Signal levels (RSSI) should be somewhere between -30db and -60db (with -30 the stronger signal) while the noise level is usually around -90db.

I have seen some reports on these forums where users have mentioned having WiFi issues when using the laptop in Clamshell mode.

I have seen software issues affect the ability of properly connecting with WiFi so don't discount looking for software issues. Try booting into Safe Mode to see if that helps since it will disable third party software from automatically launching at boot and login.

Aug 14, 2022 9:49 AM in response to tcm1968

Honestly, Wi-Fi setup is simple and straight forward enough and as such there are no "advanced" wi-fi problems. Please describe an advanced problem you're having. Everything you've listed in your post is what I see half the time with the other half being lack of expertise.

If the situation is bad enough, you may need to get different and/or newer equipment and just start over. I did that when I couldn't solve nagging problems and it was really good decision..

Aug 15, 2022 7:15 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the reply. I do not have any issues with the stuff that was easy to test like the iPhone and MacBook Pro work fine everywhere outside the apartment. MacBook Pro works fine anywhere in the apartment, iPhone does not. That's how this all started. I got a new iMac and it wouldn't connect. I thought I might have gotten a dud. Tried it at my Moms and it worked fine and just to be safe took it to the Apple store, and same thing, works fine. Got it back at home and it wouldn't connect. I had an iMac, MacBook Pro and iPhone and an Amazon Echo on top of each other and the echo and MacBook Pro worked fine.. the other two don't work. That applies to moving them anywhere in the apartment.

I thought I would post in the threads since all the issues are Apple products but I may have to hire someone in because its above my pay grade :) There's either a reason half of my devices are getting interfered with ( despite trying different wifi channels and rebooting everything), or the router is straight up blocking them for some reason..

Again, thanks for the reply and advice..

Are there any how too's on more advanced wifi problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.