Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 Magic keyboard adding extra characters

This is not a repeat key issue. I have reset to factor settings and looked to see if someone somehow has pranked me in the keyboard text settings. I the list below the character o the left of the keyboard is what I type and to the right of the = is the output

• o = ioq
  • l = akl
  • 9 = 189
  • , = z,.

• 1 =19
  • a = al
  • z = z.
  • q = oq

and as I type these out here, I see the pattern on the querty keyboard: certain characters in a row produce certain others on the same row with the relative positions the same from row to row. This list may not not comprehensive as I do not have that kind of patience!

This began overnight and is persistent through reboots. A USB keyboard works just fine. Anyone seen this before?

The keyboard is about 2 years old...maybe 3..

(Interestingly, there is no "magic keyboard" topic listed under peripherals..so this is stuck under "iMac")

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 8:45 AM

OrionEridanus wrote:

• A USB keyboard works just fine. Anyone seen this before?

I've seen lots of reports here of keyboards that produce multiple characters instead of one. When another keyboard works ok, it's usually a sign that the original has somehow gotten damaged.

If possible try your keyboard on some other machine and see if it behaves the same way.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 8:45 AM in response to OrionEridanus

OrionEridanus wrote:

• A USB keyboard works just fine. Anyone seen this before?

I've seen lots of reports here of keyboards that produce multiple characters instead of one. When another keyboard works ok, it's usually a sign that the original has somehow gotten damaged.

If possible try your keyboard on some other machine and see if it behaves the same way.

2017 Magic keyboard adding extra characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.