Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes update changed library location?

Struggling to move from one Windows 10 machine to another, I have library location issues. Up until recently, syncing with iPods has been no sweat. Now, with both a new machine and iPod Touch 7th gen, I get short list. These seem to be the CDs I ripped recently, but did not find on my iPod classics.

Moving libraries is slow but doable, but looking back at file structure on previous machine and imitated on new one, there is a

C:\Users\name\Music\iTunes\iTunes media\music file

and a

C;\Users\iTunes Music file (outside of iTunes folder)

Could this be explained?

Is there a way to get the whole library with playlists migrated to the new iPod with extra memory?

Creating a library (library.itl) does not help. I only get the most recently ripped music.

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 5:07 PM

Hmm. I suspect I've not got the full picture yet. A well formed iTunes library would be in a folder called iTunes that contains an iTunes Library.itl database file and a folder called iTunes Media that contains all media. Music typically goes into layout ..\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<AlbumArtist>\<Album>\[D-]## <Name>.<Ext> with other media kinds getting their own subfolders in the media folder. When using the standard portable layout it should be possible to move the whole iTunes folder as a unit from one computer to another, place it at any path, and shift-start-iTunes to connect to it. When iTunes is connected to files outside the media folder, or the library folder and media folder aren't in this nested relationship things will generally be OK if the precise paths are replicated on the new computer. If the library is in a working state it should be possible to manipulate it into a better shape for moving. On the other hand if it has already been moved, but the library is full of broken links, I have a toll called FindTracks that can be used to repair the references. It will work best if broken content is placed in roughly the right place, i.e. if artist folders are moved into ..\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\ first.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2021 5:07 PM in response to tlfmd

Hmm. I suspect I've not got the full picture yet. A well formed iTunes library would be in a folder called iTunes that contains an iTunes Library.itl database file and a folder called iTunes Media that contains all media. Music typically goes into layout ..\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<AlbumArtist>\<Album>\[D-]## <Name>.<Ext> with other media kinds getting their own subfolders in the media folder. When using the standard portable layout it should be possible to move the whole iTunes folder as a unit from one computer to another, place it at any path, and shift-start-iTunes to connect to it. When iTunes is connected to files outside the media folder, or the library folder and media folder aren't in this nested relationship things will generally be OK if the precise paths are replicated on the new computer. If the library is in a working state it should be possible to manipulate it into a better shape for moving. On the other hand if it has already been moved, but the library is full of broken links, I have a toll called FindTracks that can be used to repair the references. It will work best if broken content is placed in roughly the right place, i.e. if artist folders are moved into ..\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\ first.

tt2

Mar 20, 2021 4:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Library works well on old computer but does not show most recently ripped music through iTunes.

Library has been copied via network to new computer.

Tracing down that new album shows it on iTunes1\iTunes Media\Music Compilations\albumname

iTunes1 is placed, woven within D:\ iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Music\iTunes1 (*.itl) iTunes1 appears in the album column.

In order to get a new album or old library into this complex file tree it'll be a laborious issue

Recently ripped CD's on old computer are on C: OS\ Users\* Me*\ music\ iTunes\ iTunes Media\ Music \compilations \

*albums*

older ripped CDs on old computer are in iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Music \ (60GB) they are not synced with old library and not added so far to iPod classics. New iPod touch gets only the newly ripped CDs. not the old library.

Thus a complex confusing library structure is listed.

There is a collection of old *.itls

Mar 20, 2021 10:01 PM in response to turingtest2

As you suggested, I changed the name of the original iTunes on the new computer and then copied the good iTunes from the old one to the new.

I checked and made sure that the library was seen and made .. iTunes1 made

Sync fails to start. I cleared the history edit-preferences (there was none)

iPhone failed to be identified yet I can see on file explorer. There's lots of room

I've restarted the iPhone, iTunes

I've verified that the computer is listed as registered device

I then tried to place what I'd like in the same place the one successful CD sync was and it erased everything I had on the iPhone music app.

iTunes update changed library location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.