Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic skipping tracks

I have a (supposedly new) 160 GB iPod classic that I purchased from a 3rd party on Amazon. The Apple store reformatted it for me and then I synced it with my iTunes Library on an old iMAC. The library is large (10,000+ songs) and organized the way I like it with a variety of playlists and folders. Some of the music are downloaded from Mixed CD's with no track labels. So the music is stored in folders or playlists with the names or descriptions of the CDs. Any attempt to (auto) reorganize this library on iCloud by track name or artist name, etc will be a disaster!

Now that the entire iMac iTunes library is on my iPod, when playing the music it skips at random tracks, or sometimes even just pauses. The problem is widespread across the iPod library but doesn't affect every Folder, Playlist, or Track. However, it happens frequently enough and randomly enough to be a royal nuisance when listening to music. On the other hand, playing the music directly from the iMac library works just fine.

So I'm thinking that the iPod is either defective, needs a really good "rewipe/reformat", or the sync software from old iMac to new iPod classic is defective or incompatible. Regardless, if I can offload my entire iTunes library from the iMac intact and simply play it as is on iCloud, that would be great. Ideally, I want the library downloaded to my iPod so that my music is mobile and accessible at all times, regardless of WiFi availability. This is essential for my long plane trips.

Any informed or experiential suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 6:18 AM

Hi just FYI - I have struggled with that skipping problem for a long time. The only way I can correct it is to delete the song from the library and trash, then add a fresh copy of the song from a back up drive. I am hoping that the new method of using finder to sync will resolve, but unknown so far.

(note, I found if I sync the same library to an iPod Gen 5 the same song doesn't skip. If I restore the Gen 7 iPod and resync the song would still skip. At this point I wondered if Genius is causing it as that feature isn't available for the Gen 5. Also found some songs that used to not skip now skip. Duplicated this behavior on a 2nd iPod Gen 7. Arg.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2019 6:18 AM in response to clintonr1

Hi just FYI - I have struggled with that skipping problem for a long time. The only way I can correct it is to delete the song from the library and trash, then add a fresh copy of the song from a back up drive. I am hoping that the new method of using finder to sync will resolve, but unknown so far.

(note, I found if I sync the same library to an iPod Gen 5 the same song doesn't skip. If I restore the Gen 7 iPod and resync the song would still skip. At this point I wondered if Genius is causing it as that feature isn't available for the Gen 5. Also found some songs that used to not skip now skip. Duplicated this behavior on a 2nd iPod Gen 7. Arg.

Nov 17, 2019 8:17 AM in response to Spaganator

Thanks for your response. I think you are right. I went to the Apple store and they didn’t have a clear answer either. However, I was able copy all of my iTunes folders from my iMac to an external hard drive. I have been able redirect the iTunes library from another computer to the library on that external hard drive and play those music files with no problem. I’ll take your suggestions/ experiences about syncing and keep trying to rescue the music on my iPod classic. Much appreciated.

iPod Classic skipping tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.