Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Add Playlist from Mac to iPod Touch 6th Generation

I have a specific playlist on my MacBook Pro's Apple Music that for some reason cannot be added to my iPod Touch 6th Generation.

Context:

I used to have an old iPod touch, but recent purchased an iPod Touch 6th generation to replace it. I restored this new iPod Touch using a backup of my old iPod Touch, thinking it would transfer my playlists over. On my old iPod Touch, I had it set so I would manually manage the music and playlists that would appear on the device, rather than automatically download the entire library (I share the library with family and I don't necessarily want all of their songs on my iPod). I mainly want the ability to download this specific playlist on my iPod, so I can listen to it even when I'm not connected to Wifi. MANY other playlists have appeared on the iPod for offline download, but this one specific playlist has not.

Things I've Tried To Do In Music App on Mac:

In the Music App on Mac, if I open my iPod it shows a like, general list of all music, not separated into Playlists or anything like that. There is a drop down menu at the bottom that says "Autofill from:", and there it shows a list of all of the playlists on my Mac, INCLUDING the playlist I wish to add. When I select that playlist and hit the "Autofill" button, Finder pops up (Why is finder involved in any of this) and gives me the following error message: "Songs cannot be added to the iPod “[My iPod's Name]” because no songs in the playlist “[Name of Playlist I Want to Add]” can be copied to this iPod." How's that for circular logic? You can't add songs to this iPod because you can't add songs to this iPod? Unfortunately doesn't help me narrow down the issue... Although to be fair, I'm not even sure what Autofilling does or if that is even what I want to do here, it was just the only place I could find my playlist "on" my iPod. I also tried to drag the entire playlist to the iPod, no dice.

Things I've tried to do in Finder:

On this new iPod though, when I go to the "Music" tab it no longer gives me the option to manually add songs. Instead, it says my iPod is "using Cloud Music Library" and "You can play and download songs on all your devices. To sync music from this Mac, turn off Cloud Music Library." I'm not sure I know how to do that, and what the implications of doing that would be?

I went into Sync settings on this iPod, thinking the option to "turn off Cloud Music Library" may be there. I selected the "Manually manage music, movies, and TV shows" box, thinking it would fix the issue. But when I go back to the music screen, it still gives me the same "To sync music from this Mac, turn off Cloud Music Library" message.

Please help, this is driving me BANANAS!

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 10:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 9:55 AM

See Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support. When you have a subscription to Apple Music you would typically enable Sync Library (aka iCloud Music Library) in each library and device, which lets all of them sync with the same iCloud Music Library. When it works there is no need to manually sync anything as it all goes through the cloud. Should you wish to explicitly switch back to syncing turn off sync library first.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 9:55 AM in response to patrick237

See Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support. When you have a subscription to Apple Music you would typically enable Sync Library (aka iCloud Music Library) in each library and device, which lets all of them sync with the same iCloud Music Library. When it works there is no need to manually sync anything as it all goes through the cloud. Should you wish to explicitly switch back to syncing turn off sync library first.

tt2

Jun 25, 2022 12:26 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for linking that article! In it I found what I was looking for: The ability to turn off "Sync Library". I think the issue is that my playlist I wanted to add is so old, it was made locally on my Mac's iTunes and therefore could not be uploaded into the iCloud Library. So the only way to add it to my library was to turn off "Sync Library". That brought up the ability to manually add playlists to my iPod from my library, which is what I was looking for.

To turn off Sync Library, you go to your iPod, Settings->Music-> Sync Library

Cannot Add Playlist from Mac to iPod Touch 6th Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.