Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I erase my iMac hard drive from a perpetual gray screen?

Big troubles with a troubled iMac. Couple of weeks ago, I got a hang-up on a PSD photo file while scaling. Adobe steps in and says there's a corrupt file, go to cloud to resolve. Wish I could but after progressive hang-ups, including not able to move folders and files, was blessed with the gray screen. In short, about 50 restarts with every possible boot-up configuration, Apple tech, then to Micro Center, brought back an erased drive to restore by Time Mach back-up (Cmd R). Working good, but on the restore when it had 43 minutes left and back to the gray screen. Again, restarts, tried every which way to get a window so I can erase the drive (next time I will restore manually).

Is there anyway I can get to some sort of Utility to erase the drive?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 2:36 PM

If you have access to another Mac and the current Mac will boot into Target Disk Mode  you should be able to access the problem Mac from the others Mac to erase the hard drive and run Disk Utility on it.

Similar questions

3 replies

How can I erase my iMac hard drive from a perpetual gray screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.