Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up photos only.

how can I back up all the photos on my MacBook? - they were edited and created in a variety of software programs. At the moment all photos are in separate albums by date but those folders are in different locations on my hard drive. Ideally I would like to identify duplicates at the same time so I could delete them. I'd like them to be placed in the same named folders on the backup drive. Ideally, I'd like to be able to continue to back up to this drive just adding in new folders. Does anyone know of a program for Mac that allows you to do this? Also I'd like to be able to work from the external hard drive to edit photos. Is this possible? I would also like to be able to back up my iphone photos to the same drive if possible. thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 12:30 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 20, 2021 7:02 PM in response to pariseau

If you don't use Photos, you can use other software such as Lightroom to store and catalog your images.

At the least move all the image files into the Pictures folder. You can create subfolders to try to sort them in some rudimentary way. Then you can use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make an exact copy of the entire Pictures folder on an external drive. You can also use Image Capture to import photos from your iPhone in an iPhone folder inside your Pictures folder so those will also be backed up as well. Another option is to use iCloud for all your iPhone images, that is a very secure way to make sure that your iPhone images are backed up.

backing up photos only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.