Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Photo backup Macbook

Hello everyone,

I would like to copy my photo library from the MacBook to an external hdd so I can delete some heavier elements from my laptop.

I also use iCloud, so the pictures I take with my phone are synchronized with the photo library in my Mac.

Here's my question: once new photos are added to the library, how can I copy them (only new ones) to the external hdd?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 12:22 PM

To copy the library to an external drive do it as described here:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

To add the new photos to your archive on the external drive, you can import directly from your library with the new photos to the library on your external drive. See: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support. Photos will show you a list of photos that are not yet in the library that you are importing to.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2023 12:22 PM in response to Salv00

To copy the library to an external drive do it as described here:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

To add the new photos to your archive on the external drive, you can import directly from your library with the new photos to the library on your external drive. See: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support. Photos will show you a list of photos that are not yet in the library that you are importing to.

Photo backup Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.