Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac to mac data transfer

I have a new Mac Mini M1 and an old Mac mini (mid 2011). I want to transfer data from the old mini to the new one. I got a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cable which connects to the new mini but not the old one. I need an adapter but the one I saw looks like it has two female ends. So that won't connect to the old one either. Any suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 8:08 AM

You are going about it the wrong way.

To connect those 2 Mac Mini together in Target Disk Mode, you would need a couple of expensive adapters. One adapter to go from USB-C to Thunderbolt then a second adapter to go from Thunderbolt to FireWire.

Do have a Time Machine Backup of the 2011 Mac Mini?

If you do, then the fastest and easiest way to move to the new Mac Mini, is connect the Time Machine backup to the new Mac Mini and migrate from it.

If you do not have a Time Machine backup.

Get an external drive, make a TM backup of the 2011 Mac Mini and use it to migrate to the new Mac Mini.

Or optionally Migrate Mac Mini to Mac Mini using an Ethernet cable connection between the two Mac Mini's.

Do not Migrate over your local Wi-Fi network as it will fail 99% of the time and cause you to have to do a start over.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2021 8:08 AM in response to mexyz1234

You are going about it the wrong way.

To connect those 2 Mac Mini together in Target Disk Mode, you would need a couple of expensive adapters. One adapter to go from USB-C to Thunderbolt then a second adapter to go from Thunderbolt to FireWire.

Do have a Time Machine Backup of the 2011 Mac Mini?

If you do, then the fastest and easiest way to move to the new Mac Mini, is connect the Time Machine backup to the new Mac Mini and migrate from it.

If you do not have a Time Machine backup.

Get an external drive, make a TM backup of the 2011 Mac Mini and use it to migrate to the new Mac Mini.

Or optionally Migrate Mac Mini to Mac Mini using an Ethernet cable connection between the two Mac Mini's.

Do not Migrate over your local Wi-Fi network as it will fail 99% of the time and cause you to have to do a start over.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

mac to mac data transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.