Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommended adapter for M1 Mac Mini connection at 4K 60 HZ to a DisplayPort Monitor with 99% Adobe RGB display

I would like to connect an Eizo monitor with DisplayPort to an M1 Mac Mini. I am surprised to find so little information. The cables recommended by Apple like the DisplayPort to USB-C cable by Moshi doesn’t mention the Mac Mini. Nothing sold by Apple does for this purpose (regardless of monitor) so does anyone know what is at least expected to work?

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 4:29 AM

Get "DisplayPort certified" USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

They will be marked with this symbol:

While there are tons of varieties of DisplayPort cables

on the market, the can vary widely in functionality and

reliability. Being certified, the have to pass VESA's testing

to verify 100% functionality.

6 replies

Mar 21, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Stpisls

Cables that work with newer USB-C equipped Mac's, should also work with the M1 Mac Mini.

For examples,

https://uniaccessories.io/products/usb-c-to-displayport-cable-4k-60hz

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070

Note the Uni USB-C to DisplayPort cable specifically states that it is compatible with the 2020/2018 Mac Mini's.

Mar 21, 2021 12:43 PM in response to Stpisls

Stpisls wrote:

This doesn’t answer my question, as VESA certified cables still state which computers they are confirmed to work with and I don’t see any of this nature that state Mac Mini let alone M1 Mac Mini. Do you?

FWIW, the same issue arises with any computer, windows, Mac, iPad Pro, etc.

A certified cable has a 99% chance of working with any hardware. The

one thing for 4K/60 Hz is to insure it meetsDisplay Port 1.2 or 1.4 specs.

Anything that is not a certified cable is anyones guess whether it will

work or not or how long it will last.

Mar 24, 2021 1:03 AM in response to woodmeister50

I talked to Eizo technical support after noticing the tests they did that look most consistent was a direct DisplayPort to USB-C cable (startech DisplayPort 1.2 ) - I was admonished against using adapters or hubs. While I was hoping to expand the port, since one can only use the thunderbolt port for one monitor anyway, on the M1 Mac mini at least, and I have usb-a expansions, I am playing safe with a StarTech CDP2DP141MB cable, though the one rated for DP 1.2 was also recommended for this setup and it’s a little cheaper.

so basically - direct cables are always recommended, and Eizo appears to like StarTech

Recommended adapter for M1 Mac Mini connection at 4K 60 HZ to a DisplayPort Monitor with 99% Adobe RGB display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.