Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 pro iOS14.4.1 no notifications received when phone is unlocked

I do not any notifications when my iphone is unlocked. The worse scenario is i do not see notifications for my phone calls when using my phone - my phone vibrates indicating there is an incoming call however, I am not able to see the pop up to know who is calling and to accept or decline the call. It is really annoying.

I have my phone notification settings on - with lock screen, notification center and banners checked, banner style as persistent and show previews as always. I have played around with a lot of different settings and this still persists.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 10:15 PM

Hello Vivz11,

Sorry about the length of this. One of the good and bad things about how advanced our phones are is the amount of control we have on almost anything through setting. Each bullet below is a different area and not meant as steps by any means. If you have a new Apple Watch check out the third bullet first.

• Rather than going to the Notifications settings scroll further down on the first settings menu to the "Phone" app settings . Here you can set how notifications show for Incoming calls (specific for when the phone is unlocked). Now, this doesn't have "none" as an option so I am not optimistic this is what went rouge. See if a difference between banner or fullscreen helps. You may also want to temporarily turn on "Announce Calls" from the phone settings. That will anounce who is calling if they are in your contacts at least. (not 100% sure that the contact is announced. It is for messages but I can't remember how calls sound.)
  • If the number calling is not in your contacts it may be getting silenced by your phone. This is also in the settings for the "Phone" app and is in an unnamed section below Show My Caller ID in the Calls section. I had to turn this off when COVID work from home came about until I knew all the numbers my employer used..
  • Did you happen to recently get an Apple Watch? If so, it likely paired for "Calls on Other Devices" which If I am remembering correct will only notify through the watch but still allow you to answer on the phone when you are wearing the watch. This is also in the same settings area as the first two and in the "Calls" section. If you answer on the watch it will hand off very easily to the phone. Additionally, Hand off settings are under "General" but this is helpful for other reasons. Controlling that from the "Phone" app settings seems better than turning it completely off.
  • Do Not Disturb can be set to silence always or while locked and can be schedued. This setting is close to the "Notifications" settings on the Settings first menu. When working I found it helpful to turn this on and set to Always but needed to add about 20 numbers from my employers call system into a group to bypass Do Not Disturb.
  • Screen Time can limit communication notifications and the settings are just below Do Not Disturb settings. Make sure this is set to Everyone for Screen Time and possibly Downtime. It could have been the culprit and you will want to adjust your limit.
  • Sleep schedule. This one is in the Health App itself not the settings app. Go to browse from the bottom of the app then sleep from the list. If a schedule is set you should see it below the sleep data in a section called "Your Schedule." It is likely turning Do Not Disturb on automatically. To stop this select the "Full Schedule & Options" which is below the Next bedtime in the "Your Schedule" section. Then, scroll to the bottom and select "Options". Here you can turn off "Turn on Automatically" which may have been blocking the call notifications and such.

I hope at least one of these was helpful for you.

-Scott (He, Him, His)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2021 10:15 PM in response to vivz11

Hello Vivz11,

Sorry about the length of this. One of the good and bad things about how advanced our phones are is the amount of control we have on almost anything through setting. Each bullet below is a different area and not meant as steps by any means. If you have a new Apple Watch check out the third bullet first.

• Rather than going to the Notifications settings scroll further down on the first settings menu to the "Phone" app settings . Here you can set how notifications show for Incoming calls (specific for when the phone is unlocked). Now, this doesn't have "none" as an option so I am not optimistic this is what went rouge. See if a difference between banner or fullscreen helps. You may also want to temporarily turn on "Announce Calls" from the phone settings. That will anounce who is calling if they are in your contacts at least. (not 100% sure that the contact is announced. It is for messages but I can't remember how calls sound.)
  • If the number calling is not in your contacts it may be getting silenced by your phone. This is also in the settings for the "Phone" app and is in an unnamed section below Show My Caller ID in the Calls section. I had to turn this off when COVID work from home came about until I knew all the numbers my employer used..
  • Did you happen to recently get an Apple Watch? If so, it likely paired for "Calls on Other Devices" which If I am remembering correct will only notify through the watch but still allow you to answer on the phone when you are wearing the watch. This is also in the same settings area as the first two and in the "Calls" section. If you answer on the watch it will hand off very easily to the phone. Additionally, Hand off settings are under "General" but this is helpful for other reasons. Controlling that from the "Phone" app settings seems better than turning it completely off.
  • Do Not Disturb can be set to silence always or while locked and can be schedued. This setting is close to the "Notifications" settings on the Settings first menu. When working I found it helpful to turn this on and set to Always but needed to add about 20 numbers from my employers call system into a group to bypass Do Not Disturb.
  • Screen Time can limit communication notifications and the settings are just below Do Not Disturb settings. Make sure this is set to Everyone for Screen Time and possibly Downtime. It could have been the culprit and you will want to adjust your limit.
  • Sleep schedule. This one is in the Health App itself not the settings app. Go to browse from the bottom of the app then sleep from the list. If a schedule is set you should see it below the sleep data in a section called "Your Schedule." It is likely turning Do Not Disturb on automatically. To stop this select the "Full Schedule & Options" which is below the Next bedtime in the "Your Schedule" section. Then, scroll to the bottom and select "Options". Here you can turn off "Turn on Automatically" which may have been blocking the call notifications and such.

I hope at least one of these was helpful for you.

-Scott (He, Him, His)

iPhone 12 pro iOS14.4.1 no notifications received when phone is unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.