Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch solo loop tearing

Has anyone else had an issue with a Solo Loop failing (tearing)? I purchased mine as soon as they were available in Oct 2020 but by Mar 2021 it had developed a small imperfection that now has grown larger and with each stretch, I think the tear is growing bigger.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 7:05 AM

I have a similar issue. I started using the solo loop in January 2021. Started noticing a small surface tear around 2.5 months. And yup, the tear is getting longer. Coincidentally, looks like I have same color band (Deep Navy Blue) as the original poster as well.

36 replies

Jun 23, 2021 7:25 AM in response to jrap33

Just been into Apple Store Braehead where I was advised that the tear was damage, and that solo bands are subject to rigorous testing and will not fail in this manner - therefore in the manager’s view it must be damage. The manager was not prepared to return the band to Apple for assessment since it is his decision. The band is 8 months old, bought with a Series 6 Watch. There seems to be little recognition of consumer rights, particularly the refusal to refer the matter to Apple for evaluation.

Extremely disappointing - I will not let the matter rest there and will pursue the issue using all the avenues open to me.

Oct 26, 2021 2:57 AM in response to LawJeffrey

Yes I have this too.

My advice is DO NOT BUY THE SOLO LOOP

You will see on the photo below that I my strap has developed a slit in it.

I have wasted 3 hours of my life talking to support and senior management and I might as well have talked to a wall. There is no moving these people. It is obvious when so many people have experienced this problem that there's something wrong . They don't give a ****

Jul 9, 2021 2:07 AM in response to LawJeffrey

Virtually identical problem with an elderly family members blue solo loop which I purchased as a gift, for no reason a small tear appeared and within a month it split clean in half. Strap was less than 6 months old I should add.

Will be contacting Apple, this is essentially not fit for purpose and hopefully a design problem they will overcome on future releases.

Jul 13, 2021 10:22 AM in response to SoQuackers

Sadly my phone call didn't go well, Apple basically said they will not replace unless it fails at the fixing point! really!!

Needless to say I am not happy with this and have already sent an email to Mr Cook for what it is worth. I am frankly disgusted that a £49 silicone watch strap could fail in the first instance. To be told it will not be replaced when I am fairly well invested in Apple products is infuriating to say the least.

Lets see what can be done about this, I am a bit like a dog with a bone so fingers crossed ;)

Jul 16, 2021 3:00 AM in response to SoQuackers

Just to update on this situation, after reading several other reports like this on various forums I decided it was time to call Apple support again. It appeared some owners were getting easy replacements and others were being told no.

I spent around 20-30 minutes on the phone initially with a first line support agent and then a senior advisor. The latter was very patient, helpful and knowledgeable and immediately agreed this should be a straight forward replacement, no question. They went away to discuss with a colleague and to authorise this, normally I believe they would require the broken strap to be returned for analysis.

Around 5 minutes later I received a call from the same senior advisor who informed me they would be sending a replacement solo loop without the need for me to return my existing one. This time around it was a very pleasant experience on the phone to support.

So it would seem if you are not happy with the initial outcome then jump back on the phone. Push to speak with a senior advisor or member of staff who should be more accommodating.

As the advisor pointed out, this could have been a more unpleasant outcome if the watch had fallen onto a hard floor when the strap failed 😲 - this could have lead to a much more serious replacement situation, certainly food for thought. I do hope that others aren't unlucky enough for that to happen.

Anyway, I will await arrival of the replacement solo loop and give its owner the good news 😊

Jul 26, 2021 2:06 PM in response to julliep26

Sorry to see that, from my conversations with Apple support I believe that should be a pretty straightforward replacement. If you don't have any luck first time around on the phone then do try them again. Ask to speak with a senior advisor or manager, it should not be a difficult fix. I uploaded a few photos of mine with a link they sent me. Keep us posted on the outcome, hope it goes well.

Aug 24, 2021 10:01 AM in response to LawJeffrey

I have the exact same problem. Apple Support did not want to replace the Solo Loop because their warranty policy only covers cracks at either end of the loop. Talked to a superior, but she also turned me down.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this should be covered under the 2 years minimum legal guarantee in the European Union, which Apple seems to violate.

Oct 16, 2021 4:20 AM in response to mertzeld

This is terrible service, it is obviously an issue and these bands appear to be failing early. Keep chasing Apple support, email CEO, it isn't acceptable.

Most of us own multiple Apple devices, these bands should be replaced no questions asked once Apple have seen the images or inspected the item in question. A trip to the Apple store should not be required, this is 2021, a photograph should suffice.

Makes me sad to see this kind of response from a company I am heavily invested in.

Oct 18, 2021 2:45 PM in response to SoQuackers

Bought a solo loop on July 10th, the strap ripped completely off from the attachment point yesterday. Honestly I'm shocked, and after speaking to service and going into a store, both said "there's no warranty". For these prices, I'd expect them not to break or to be replaced immediately. I noticed it ripping when I took the photo, and then when I tried to get it off, it ripped completely.

Apple watch solo loop tearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.