Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Show Artwork" setting keeps turning on in Music / Songs view despite having repeatedly turned it off

I have deselected the View Options > "Show Artwork" setting in Music many times - and yet it keeps turning on every time I open Music in Songs view.

Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it? Having searched the community / Google I see this has happened for people as far back as iTunes in 2010. I have followed all instructions in those posts and yet the problem persists. This is a new and, quite frankly, irritating situation for me.

TIA for any suggestions!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 9:36 AM

Ah, Big Sur rather than Catalina. I'd forgotten that option had been restored.

With Music closed open ~/Music/Music, right click on Music Libary.musiclibrary and click Show Package Contents. Select and copy the file Preferences.plist, save the copy to your desktop, then delete the original file and empty the trash. Launch Music. Your preferences will be reset so you need to review these. Hopefully you will now be able to reliably control the show artwork option.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 9:36 AM in response to The_Ramshackler

Ah, Big Sur rather than Catalina. I'd forgotten that option had been restored.

With Music closed open ~/Music/Music, right click on Music Libary.musiclibrary and click Show Package Contents. Select and copy the file Preferences.plist, save the copy to your desktop, then delete the original file and empty the trash. Launch Music. Your preferences will be reset so you need to review these. Hopefully you will now be able to reliably control the show artwork option.

tt2

Mar 25, 2021 12:50 PM in response to turingtest2

I think you're heading in the right direction, though. 😀

I didn't have the problem until I first checked the box to display artwork. After that, I haven't been able to uncheck that box to make the setting keep. Every time I re-launch the Music app, it displays the artwork again.

FWIW, my wife has never enabled artwork on her MacBook and it doesn't display. I don't want to test on the feature on it, though. 😂

"Show Artwork" setting keeps turning on in Music / Songs view despite having repeatedly turned it off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.