Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to lock a folder on my imac desktop

Is it possible to lock a file and/or a folder on the desktop?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 11:26 AM

bowcates Said:

“Thanks, but I didn't explain myself properly: I want to make the contents of the folder so that it has a password and only those with the password can read or edit the contents.”

———-

Lock the File Itself:

Locking an encrypted folder would work, most certainly. But another workaround may be to lock the files themselves. For example: A Microsoft Word document can have its own password. Just use the Help menu for instructions on that.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 11:26 AM in response to bowcates

bowcates Said:

“Thanks, but I didn't explain myself properly: I want to make the contents of the folder so that it has a password and only those with the password can read or edit the contents.”

———-

Lock the File Itself:

Locking an encrypted folder would work, most certainly. But another workaround may be to lock the files themselves. For example: A Microsoft Word document can have its own password. Just use the Help menu for instructions on that.

I would like to lock a folder on my imac desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.